George Drew
Nikon Precision
gdrew@nikon.com
george drew
4 REPLIES 4
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT4000S

Typically an external drive (in an enclosure) has a numeric switch to set the drive SCSI ID. I'm wondering if you have a rack mount module?

The drive mechanism itself determines it's SCSI ID from a jumper block on the left/front side of the drive. There are 3 jumpers (for a DLT4000) that control the ID. with no jumpers installed, the drive defaults to SCSI ID 5. You can see the jumper combinations in the following document, on page 1-6:
http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29237/lpg29237.pdf

Hopefully you can determine how your external jumpers are connected to the drive jumper block.
The journey IS the reward.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

I'd be concerned by this thread:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x57a83a7b3682d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

I've seen hundreds of types of tape drives, and I have NEVER seen one with, especially an EXTERNAL tape drive, with jumpers in the front. The jumpers should be in the rear or on the sides and they would be covered by the outer "shell".

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Yeah, it doesn't sound like any HP DLT drive I'm familiar with - haven't heard of a '4000S'.

Internally, the drive mechs are all nearly the same though, with the jumper block mentioned controlling the SCSI IDs. How each enclosure wires those can very.

George, hopefully you also know whether your drive is a single ended (SE) or HVDS SCSI device, and have the appopriate interface card. The DLT4000 came in both flavors. They are narrow SCSI devices (wide SCSI started on the DLT7000).
The journey IS the reward.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
probably you speake about a dlt comming from some library, you found a connector used to connect the DLT to the controller board, not to be used to set the SCSI id ?