kuan
Advisor

DLT7000 error messages

Lights on RHS of tape drive are flashing in sequence

ProLiant 5500 and 35/70 DLT

These are the symptoms:
Before changing the tape drive:
-Lights on RHS of tape drive are flashing in sequence
-Four quick short beeps continually beeping even in SCU (the beeps coincide with the four lights on the RHS)
-Compaq diags in SCU gave a tape drive test error code - 6706-09

On Changing tape drive:
-Changed scsi connector from the standard peripheral board scsi controller to a PCI scsi controller.

After changing the tape drive for another 35/70:
-Lights on RHS of tape drive are flashing in sequence
-Four quick short beeps continually beeping while in SCU and windows.

In addition the following information I have worked out so far...
-the beeping is coming form the DLT drive itself
-it seems to be running the initialisation sequence, but just over and over.
-i disconnected the scsi cable from the scsi controller and powered on and the dlt drive still was the same.

Any information or advice is much appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT7000 error messages

Please check if interfaces of drive and HBA are compatible. Remember: FWD/HVD and SE/LVD are incompatible, LVD is backward compatible with SE, but if connecting SE device to LVD bus then whole bus becomes SE
Eugeny
kuan
Advisor

Thanks for that prompt reply Eugeny, the server has a standard peripheral board with scsi controller.
Unfortunately I tried long and hard for some information on this but failed.
I must admit there was a PCI LVD SCSI Controller unattached to any SCSI peripherals. but this gave the same problem.

So the problem may occur even if the cable is not attached?
Has anyone come across a similar light/beep combination? I am pretty sure this drive does not want to initialise, but why? Because even if i change the drive (again) then it may happen again. (the first DLT7000 was connected to the standard peripheral board for some time).

Again thanks for any input.
KUAN
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Kuan,
I've heard about cases when connecting HVD device to LVD bus or vice versa both devices die. Physically. Did your DLT7000 drive was alive before you connected it somewhere? If yes, and after you connected to server it is not alive any more then something bad happened. Inspect server's user guide to check this interface type (LVD?) and drive's box/stickers to check its type (FWD?)
Eugeny
kuan
Advisor

Thanks for the info Eugeny, i will certainly try checking that.

I will try a new SCSI controller to go with the replacement 35/70 that has just arrived. The controller is a WU3 SCSI Controller, though my colleague is convinced it should be fine.

Off the top of my head the PCI SCSI controller was a 2 channel LVD SCSI Controller, nothing was attached to it, but the DLT7000 is SE. Though not ideal it should work in theory and drop the whole bus, as you explained, to SE. At the moment I am interested in getting a backup of the system.

Regards,
KUAN
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Then should work. BTW, did you try to insert tape into new DLT7000? If yes, try to eject it (if it's still there) and look inside if there's a take-up leader on the hook. I can not decode symptoms you describe, but at least we can inspect for common issues
Eugeny
Neil Ryan
Advisor

I agree with Eugeny, RHS flashing sounds like a dropped leader. When you power the drive on, it should beep 4 times and light up all LED's... this is just a device self test. If you have a dropped leader, listen carefully to the drive. After all the LED's go out, the Tape In Use LED should be flashing, you'll hear a loud grinding noise. Then you'll hear the take up reel turning inside. Right before the 3 lights on the RHS start to flash, you'll hear something like a slapping noise, then one long beep, then the three LED's on the RHS will start flashing and the Operate Handle LED will be on solid. The recommended HBA for this drive is an Adaptec AHA-2940UW. Check out this document on dropped leaders.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50027

If this is the case, then you will have to call the call centre to have the drive replaced.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Lewis Finch
kuan
Advisor

Thanks Eugeny and Ryan for the help with the leader.

Since my last post i had been busy replacing the dlt. Which worked and better still it worked with arcserve 2000!
Eugeny's advice on looking at the problem in a different way helped me decide whether to put the SCSI cable on the SCSI card or Peripheral Board, thanks.

With the leader, I have seen that a few times before, even on a SDLT. But this one was fine...
Since then i have thought about it and have come to the conclusion that it is more likely than anything else that the dlt cable was SE only and not LVD and SE capable. Once attached to the LVD port perhaps this cause a problem, as it is not recommended by Compaq.

I will try out this theory if possible and let you know, but in the meantime it is working and thats the main thing.

Regards,
KUAN
kuan
Advisor

Oh i forgot to say that the RHS lights dont flash at the same time (as in the case of a dropped leader) but in sequence - just the same as when it initialises.
Also the beeps come from the DLT drive itself and is part of its POST sequence, i noticed the beeps coincide with each flash of a light (i had to look this up on the quantum site).

This also happened when the DLT Drive was disconnected from SCSI controller.

I can only think of the LVD/SE situation and SE cable. But thanks again to Eugeny for focussing the different perpective on the new DLT.

If you find anything further then please let me know.

Regards,
KUAN
Jack Pelly

Hi Gentlemen,

I have a similar problem with a HP SureStore DLT70e - C5658A. Same light sequence and beeps. Also all lights flash on and stay lit on LHS of tape drive when lights flash in sequence on RHS of tape drive. This can occur at anytime during the backup process (most of the time right in the middle of backup) which leads me to believe it's not a tape leader problem. Am I wrong in this assumption? I am using ArcServe 2000. I get this error message in ArcServe; "E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error[ABSL: 2050 CMD: Ah NT: 48Fh 1167]" I've run HP L&TT successfully without any errors. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack