3791 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT7000 error messages

kuan
Advisor

Hi Jack,

It does sound similar to the problem that i had. A few questions though, did the lights flash in rapid succession one after the other? Or is there a gap in between the sequences? Were there any DLT post beeps. Has the drive been changed and the cable, if so what difference did it make?

It seems that model is an external 35GB DLT using DLT7000 technology and is Single-Ended.

Unfortunately because the problem happens mid-way through a backup it isnt exactly the same, mine just didnt seem to want to initialise.

I have a few pointers though. Check if there is anything else on that SCSI bus and channel, do they have problems too? Also are they all single ended? and do they all have active termination?
Is the problem happening mid-way through the backup? Have a look at the tape drive and look to see where the leader should be, those error lights are very similar to the leader problem.

Regards,
Kuan
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi Kuan,
Just a suggestion, have you tryed to replace the power suppply? it looks like the DLT is resetting when he have to start the main motor.
If it is an internal one, try to connect it to another server.
If it is an external one, check for grounding or for bad power voltage
marino
Jack Pelly

Hi Kuan,

The answers to some of your questions.... Did the lights flash in succession? Yes, only the RHS. The LHS is lit constantly. The beeps follow the light sequence. I haven't changed cables or drive since this is the only DLT70e that I have in the office. The problem can occur at anytime whether there is a tape in the drive or not, at the beginning of backup or the middle or towards the end... It really doesn't make a difference. Originally I had the drive attached to the onboard scsi controller on the motherboard. Then I switched it to the other onboard controller since the motherboard had two controllers. Now I have it attached to an Adaptec 2940UW. No other devices have been attached at any time. The tape drive has it's own termination plug on it. I had the drive apart yesterday and the leader seems to be intact and functioning properly.

Thanks,
Jack
Pete Simpson_1
Advisor

I had this same problem recently. An upgrade to the Adaptec SCSI driver fixed the problem. The driver on the system was the original Win2K driver that shipped with Windows 2000 Server. The new drivers, obtained from the Adaptec website, resolved the issue.
Jeffrey Willemsen
Frequent Advisor

Left hand side LEDs all ON and right hand side LEDs all flashing in combination with the beeper going over and over again >> drive is resetting itself. Most likely candidate is indeed power supply. DLT drives are fairly critical to power supply voltages dropping below thresholds. The left hand side LEDs don't have a chance to go out (POST completed) before the drive is resetting again. Please check as well if there is any cable connected to the SCSI ID select connector, if so, remove and retest. Connect only power supply lead to diagnose, no need for SCSI cable to perform POST.

Succes!
Jeffre
Don't change a working configuration