Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLT7000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Decker
Frequent Advisor

DLT7000

I have been able to backup my system HP-UX 10.2 fully for the past months. I lost a disk out of an array and had to recreate and retore a vg and a couple of lvol's. In the process of restoring files to my lvol's my DLT7000 wouldn't do restore all files from the backup tape to the lvol it only would do a few and then I pretty much had to go and tell it the directories under the lvol's. I was able to get a hold of a DLT4000 and do a complete restore to the appropriate lvol's. I use Fbackup to do my backups. I used Frestore with the DLT7000 and was getting a lot of headaches. I used Frestore with my borrowed DLT4000 and had no problems. Is something not installed right or do I need to reinstall my drivers or is there patches I'm missing?
It's not done Till I am satisfied
7 REPLIES
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

Re: DLT7000

This is interesting. You say you backed up to a DLT7000, and were able to restore with a DLT4000. It sounds as if you have configured the DLT7000 to run 20Gb instead of Native 35Gb. This would allow the tape to be recovered on a DLT4000. Do you have any other episodes of recovery where you were not able to restore the files?
I may be slow, but I get there !
Dan Decker
Frequent Advisor

Ihave only had to restore a single file or two from the DLT7000 and this were successfull. This was the first time I had to restore a large quantity of files or directories.
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

Do know the density setup on the drive (lights on left side)..I don't know if the Density may create a potential problem during restore..
Tommy
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

I searched the Knowledge Trees for DLT Firmware and found this doc
CPOlpg51234
It mentions some read problems. You May investigate upgrading the firmware.. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, It was not too bad of a procedure..
Tommy
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

What type of DLT tapes are you using? If they are Compactape III's then that would explain why they can be read on a DLT 4000 but not your restore problem.

Do you specify a configuration file to fbackup (especially the blocksperrecord parameter)? The default is quite a small block and I wonder if the 7000 is having problems with it.

There have been a number of posts recently discussing the best configuration ffor fbackup and DLT, here's one:-

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x629a0559ff7cd4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Regards,
John
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor
Solution

Along the Lines John just mentioned, I saw several other DOCS
8606155704 "Selective DLT frecover fails if tape filesizes do not match index"
and
8606132377 " frecover(2112): Unexpected DDS marker read msg with DLT7000"
I dont know if this helps,
Tommy
Dan Decker
Frequent Advisor

I am using DLTtape IV 1/2" cartridge's
I think Tommy may have hit on a couple issues I need to look into such as the tape settings and also possibly upgrading the firm ware. I don't know if I have access to this knowledge tree Tommy references but I will check out these documents. Thanks alot Tommy and John