5142 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT8000 - Bocksize is incorrect

SOLVED
Go to solution
purvi parikh

DLT8000 - Bocksize is incorrect

I am trying to copy from m2 tape using dlt8000. i am able to see the files being copied, however, i keep on getting the error " blocksize is incorrect". can you please assist in 1) determining the tape block size and 2) how to set it.

I am using lsi logic scsi card which is connecte directly to the dlt 8000 tape drive. also the OS running on the workstation is Windows XP.
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

block size is set in the backup application

if you goes out of the standards, tape drivers and hba drivers may need to have reg parameters modify to allow bigger block size, but as you are using DLT8000 I doubt you have any limit due to these drives.

Are you trying to read or write on the tape?
is that tape already formatted (initialized)or is it a brand new one?
Are you able or can you to inizialize it? (if the tape was previously written, then you may need to reformat it if you have changed OS, and backup application

you can also use LTT to run tests (destructive or non destructive) depending of what you can do with the tape

purvi parikh

Thank you for your response, when you say it's set in the backup application, where is it set? i am trying to figure out why it doesn't like the blocksize that is currently there.

i did check the reg parameters and none exist. one of the suggestion was to add a parameter called BlockSize and give it a value of 256K. i tried this it did not work either.

I am trying to ready the tape and copy the files from the tape onto my harddrive. this is a tape with existing data and is not a brand new tape. i cannot format it since i need the data off that tape. what is LTT?

i am new to this tape backup and tape drive alltogehter so i appreicate any help you can provide.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

first of all, if you want to read data from a tape you should use the same backup application
do you know what is the backup application you used when you backup those data?
and what are you using now to retreive them?

now as you are using old technology (dlt800) I do not think you should modify any registry parameters to allow big block size, as the DLT was in use when the standar was 8K, and could reach max 64K

see attached doc that explain how to change the block size in some of the backup applications

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50167

LTT is the HP diagnostic for tape drives