1748117 Members
3663 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT8000 Flashing LEDs

Joseph Palarchio
Occasional Contributor

DLT8000 Flashing LEDs

I have replaced at least 10 Compaq 40/80 DLT drives since the beginning of the year. In all cases, the drives pull the tape in part way and then stop with all four LEDs on the right side flashing. I have tried updating the drive to firmware V080 and the same problem exists. These are all with different customers and some with brand new tapes. One thing I noticed with the cover off is when the drive spool is pulling in the tape, it seems to slow down just before the drive goes failed, causing the tape to sort of "back up" on the spool.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I've contact HP/Compaq and they have no known problems.
38 REPLIES 38
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

4 LEDs flashing on the right hand side indicates a mechanical or servo problem. Usually this is a symptom of what's known as the "dropped leader problem". You should check *each* of your cartridges for the presence of the buckling loop at the start of the tape, it may be missing or broken on one or more of them. Look under the flap at the front of the cartridge.

Every drive you insert such a tape into will be rendered inoperative and need to be returned for repair.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

In addition to Steve's... See http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50338 - looks a great document. But remember - broking warranty label at the rear of the drive will REALLY void warranty - Quantum's and HP's
Eugeny
Joseph Palarchio
Occasional Contributor

I am familiar with dropped leaders and although similar symptoms, it is not the case in these situations. I have reseated the leader and placed brand new tapes in these faulty drives, only to have the drive pull the tape in a bit and then stop with the flashing LEDs.
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

OK, then it must be another mechanical or servo problem. I'd suggest collecting a HP Library & Tape Tools support ticket from this drive. Near the end, you should see a "Drive Error Log" section. Open that and look at the error packets for clues about what might be the cause. Check for Axxx error events especially.
D Mancini

I have replaced 5 Compaq 40/80 DLT drives... in THREE months... I get exactly the same problem... on the backup Software (Veritas 8.6 media server is installed on Windows 2000 server, the device shows up as in red as off-line. Also, now all the LEDs on the right are flashing and the device is making a churning noise... HP also advise me they do not know of the problem??? I have also updated to the relevant firmware and also the problem stays... surely they do not expect us to just keep changing the tape devices every five seconds!!! There must be a fix!!!!
Jason Booms
Occasional Advisor

HELP

I am having this problem now. I have read all the questions and answers to this on the site and none seem to be exactly what is going on to me. After returning from X-mas break I was performing my latest back-up when it happened. All the lights on the right side of my 40/80 drive are lit up and flashing. Everytime I hit the unload button I hear the drive grind and after a minute or so the lights are flashing again. My drive is less than a year old along with my tapes. Is there a way to get the tape out and possibly save the drive - or has it given up the ghost?
Just an ME in a CE world
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Everytime I hit the unload button I hear the drive grind and after a minute or so the lights are flashing again. My drive is less than a year old along with my tapes. Is there a way to get the tape out and possibly save the drive - or has it given up the ghost?

There is a process for manually unloading a tape out of a DLT library drive. It's covered in the SureStore 2/20 manual (removing a stuck DLT tape - page 152):
http://h200006.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28861/lpg28861.pdf

Off hand, I can't remember if you can also do this on a standalone drive (I think you can). However, if your drive is still under warranty, don't attempt this unless the call center walks you through it. The standlaone DLT manual doesn't cover removal of stuck tapes.
The journey IS the reward.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I have tried updating the drive to firmware V080 and the same problem exists.

The current firmware for all HP/CPQ DLT8000 drives is V86. You can used HP Library & Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools) to update your firmware.

> I am familiar with dropped leaders and although similar symptoms, it is not the case in these situations. I have reseated the leader and placed brand new tapes in these faulty drives, only to have the drive pull the tape in a bit and then stop with the flashing LEDs.

After a failure, run HP L&TT and generate a support ticket. Post the support ticket here, and I can review the drive error logs. That should give us a clue as to what is going on.
The journey IS the reward.
Jason Booms
Occasional Advisor

I have followed David's advice and I did get my tape out. Took a while since it looked like the tape ran all the way to the end and I had to rewind by hand. Now that I got the tape out and drive put back in, it still thinks that there is a tape in the drive! I have the internal 1 tape DLT 40/80, using the MS Backup feature on NT4.0 SP6. Is there some way to reset it?
Just an ME in a CE world