StoreEver Tape Storage
1753254 Members
4517 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT8000 Flashing LEDs

Paul Smith BSGPLC

DLT8000 Flashing LEDs

I have the same problem as described in thread http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=64419

I have checked the leader and it is on correctly. I've removed the drive and given it a good clean with an air blower thing. The drive is still doing the exact same thing.

Taking the tape, pulling some into the reel, grinding then showing me all the flashing LEDS.

I ran the support thing as mentioned, my results are attached.

I cannot find anything on the error I'm getting. Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

P
4 REPLIES 4
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Paul,
I have experienced the same problems and in the end the quickest way was to replace the drive.
I went through checking the leaders, upgrading firmware, changing tapes .....
If the drive is under contract, replace it.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

bit 01 ├в Drive is in the Process of Loading a tape but has not entered the calibration phase of the load

00A0h-00Afh Miscellaneous Tape Motion Errors Possible drive, try multiple media
0080h-009Fh Servo Errors Possible drive, try multiple media
0050-005F Cartridge Load Errors Check Cartridge/Leaders
00A0h-00Afh Miscellaneous Tape Motion Errors Possible drive, try multiple media
these are the errors and explanation I could extract from the log, as you can see, before to have a cartridge loaded, there is aready errors. this make me suspecting in a defective drive, also the servo errors are usualy related to the motors.

So if you already have replaced the cartrige, or have no cartridge inside, checked the leader, checked if the mechanism is on the right position, I think there is not a lot of other things to check, and the drive replacement will probably be the only solution

marino
Paul Smith BSGPLC

Thanks for your replys.

Do you know what would cause this? The drive its self is now out of warranty but hardly 2 years old. I would have thought it would have lasted a few years at least.

Thanks again

P.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Paul,
we have replaced a number of drives over that last 2 years, always with the same problem. Our tapes were not being positioned correctly. I had an engineer open the drive in operation, so we could see what was happening. The start of the tape was loaded, the read/write header was positioned on the tape, but no adjust (tape moving forward/back) occored, then after a little while the tape was wound on a bit and the cycle repeated. In this case the servo motor control had failed => New Unit