5716 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT8000 and Win2k Server issues

John_709
Occasional Advisor

DLT8000 and Win2k Server issues

Hello!
I just installed a DLT8000 tape drive (C6379A) in my Win2k Server (SP4) box.I used the AHA-2944UW SCSI card to connect it to the server.The device was recognised successfully by the o/s.
However when I add an HP DLT data cartridge (C5141F)and run the NTbackup application I get the following error:
"There is no unused media available with the selected type.
Add unused media or click Cancel to select another type.
Note: It may take up to 60 seconds for Removable Storage to recognise new media."
After approximately 60 seconds I get a new message:
"There is no unused media available with the selected type, but unrecognised media is available.Do you want to prepare this unrecognized media and use it for this backup?
Warning: Preparing this media will erase any information that may have been recorded by another application."
After I choose Yes I get this error message:
"Library QUANTUM DLT8000 SCSI Sequential Device couldn't write to media "1".Eject it,fix the problem (see the event log) and try again."
Well how am I going to fix this problem?Any ideas of what 's going wrong?
Thank you!
14 REPLIES 14
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT8000 and Win2k Server issues

Cartridge type is correct, but did you wrote on that cartridge with another Drive before? DLT VS80?
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50139

if compatibility is ok, I would suggest to run L&TT read/write test, generate a Sticket and post it here
John_709
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your answer!
The data cartridge is brand new, I haven't used it before in any tape drive.As soon as I have the test results I'll post back.
John_709
Occasional Advisor

Ok here are the results:
First of all I need to upgrade the firmware of my DLT tape from V080 to V086.Apart from that, the drive failed the quick read/write test.I used another data cartridge as well and got the same results.
I hope the tape drive is ok...What do you think?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Did it fail just read/write test or all test? You need to be sure everythink is ok at a communication level, then stop RSM and run L&TT
run all tests, and see if some other test cause problems.
Be sure to have a HVD terminator as you are using a Differential drive
John_709
Occasional Advisor

This test is the only one that the drive fails.Tomorrow I'll upgrade the firmware and run the tests again.When you say "stop RSM" do you mean to stop the service?I do not use a terminator because I thought I would not need one since the tape drive is the only device attached to the SCSI card.
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate your help!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I mean stop Removable Storage when run tests with L&TT, it may interfere with drive access.

Terminator is always need on a scsi bus at both end of the cable. Usualy one is embedded ont he HostBusAdapter, at the other end you should put another one. Just in case you have device with embedded terminator, you can avoid it
John_709
Occasional Advisor

Things cannot get worse!
I cannot update the firmware of the tape drive as I get a "Firmware update FAILED!" message right after I initiate the update.I had disabled the Removable Storgage service in order not to interfere with the firmware update.
Is there a quick way of checking whether I need a terminator either in the host bus adapter or in the device?I cannot find any empty slot in the back of the device where I could place a terminator.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

What you need basicaly is a scsi cable with build in terninator, all HP internal scsi cable have a small box at the end of the cable that is the terminator, you hneed this cable