StoreEver Tape Storage
1753417 Members
5196 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT8000 firmware upgrade v89, file not found

Christopher J Brown

DLT8000 firmware upgrade v89, file not found

I am attempting a firmware upgrade to v89 of a Compaq DLT8000 using HP StorageWorks version 4.2 SR1a on a Windows 2000 SP4 and an Adaptec SCSI controller. The firmware file is named ltt_dlt8000_v089_oem1.frm. Through StorageWorks, the drive reports Firmware Revision as V026/CPQ-2. Through Quantum's xTalk management console 4.8.0 Build 2, the drive reports Vendor ID as COMPAQ, the Product ID as DLT8000, the Product Revision Level as 011A, the Firmware Major Version as 26, the Firmware Minor Version as 0, the EEPROM Format MAjor as 5, the EEPROM Format Minor as 18, the Firmware Personality as 12, the Firmware Subpersonality as 2.

StorageWorks presents the dialog "hp L&TT" "There are no matching firmware files in the currently selected firmware folder.". The browse button for selecting the firmware file folder allows me to see the C: and F: drives where copies of the firmware file reside, but it doesn't see the actual firmware file(s). I notice that the firmware file name has the component "OEM1". I also notice that there are firmware updates for HP versions of the DLT8000 but not for Compaq.

Is StorageWorks refusing to select the firmware file because it is incompatible with a Compaq drive? Must the firmware files be copied to a special folder?
2 REPLIES 2
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT8000 firmware upgrade v89, file not found

HP LTT will automatically match the appropriate firmware files to a particular device. That includes matching the vendor and product IDs, and also matching the device personality and subpersonality. Also, in LTT we provide personality "names" (such as OEM1, OML3) whereas other tools may show you the hex or decimal codes of the actual personality bytes returned in the SCSI inquiry string.

You don't need to worry about personality codes - just let LTT match it for you. In LTT you can use "Files -> Get Files from Web", and it will show you any new files (from a revision data base) that apply to your attached devices. You can then select any new versions to download to your local folder, and then from there the firmware update tool will be able to select from those files for updates.

You can see all the product IDs supported by selecting "for all supported devices" in the Get Files From Web dialog.

There is a "COMPAQ DLT8000" V089 version for CPQ-2 and CPA-2 personalities.

The journey IS the reward.
Christopher J Brown

Re: DLT8000 firmware upgrade v89, file not found

I let L&TT find the firmware files for the Compaq personality on the web and the upgrade went to completion. Thank you.