StoreEver Tape Storage
1753407 Members
6930 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DP 5.5 reseting bytes counts on BIG backups

Patrick Ouellet

DP 5.5 reseting bytes counts on BIG backups

I did a Full Backup of our whole SAN (6.5 TB)
and somewhere in the backup the byte count reseted. I don`t know where exactly but since the backup takes almost 3 days to complete I check on it on a regular basis. This morning I was at 3.8TB and when I last checked it was back at 900 GB.

Its not the first time this have happened. And to my knowledge both time it happened it didn`t happened at the same count. I don`t think that errors are logged in DP when this happen. I have errors but these are unrelated and they were already there when I looked it up this morning.

Any one have seen this before?

The client machine is running W2K Server and DP runs on W2K3 Server. The library is not attached to the SAN it is SCSI attached to the Backup server. the SAN is MSA1500 with one controller.
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Ouellet

Im sorry I made an error its Data Protector 6.0 not 5.5 we are using.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Don't know why the byte counts resetting, but if your backups taking 3 days, I think you maybe need to take a look how the jobs are organized, and how many resources (tape drives/backup streams etc) you have to do it with.

My maths shows you are backing up at about 25MB/sec, or 90GB/Hr which seems very slow for several Terabytes of data.

At a guess I'd say the media agent running on the backup server, is temporarily getting disconnected from the disk agent running on the client box, (this is a network backup right ??) - this isn't a showstopper, but it could be a reason for the counters going AWOL.

Rich
Patrick Ouellet

Yes I know this is very slow backup but we have determined that the problem of speed is due many things one of them being that the MSA1500 uses a old firmware and that we need to update it. We are working toward this. We only get around 20MB/s output from the MSA which we know can deliver much more. We are in the process of updating the firmware, installing a second controller and put them in active/active configuration and upgrading their cache to 512MB. This with an OS upgrade to Windows 2003 server should really improve performance and throughput for our SAN thus making the backup take much less time.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Sorry.....just "rethought" that one - if the disk agent gets disconnected - it *IS* a showstopper so the backup will fail. More likely that the media agent is getting disconnected from the session manager running on the Cell Manager.

Is the Backup server also the Dataprotector Cell Manager ??. Do you get any indicators/warnings when you look at the session monitor ??.

Rich
Patrick Ouellet

No actually there are no relevant message erro or warning displayed regarding this. I might get some error but those are locked files or things like that.

Nothing that will point toward this particular problem.