7167 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

DP Direct Back Up over SAN

Candan
Occasional Visitor

DP Direct Back Up over SAN

Hi,

I have a couple of question with DP direct back up. I want to run a back up schedule in which client directly send the data to to tape device. It is stated as "The data moves directly from the client system to be backed up to a tape device without moving data through a backup server" in HP Data Protector A.06.11 Concepts guide.I know there is a way of creating direct back up schedule however it requires that

1 -  Data Protector Cell Manager running on any supported operating system - OK

2 -  Resolve Agent running on HP-UX 11.11 - ?? 

3 -  Support of application servers running HP-UX 11.11 - ??

4 -  Support of HP LVM on HP-UX 11.11 - ??

5 -  XCopy host, source disk, destination device, and XCopy engine must be in the same SAN zone. - OK

6 -  File System support:

Veritas’ VxFS 3.1, 3.3  - ??

7 -  Application support:

Oracle 9.i - ??

8 - Raw volume support - ??

9 - Support of ServiceGuard environments for the application server - OK

10 - Restore through the standard Data Protector restore interface - OK

11 - Support of instant recovery for the XP - OK

12 - XCopy engine in the bridge - OK

according to HP Data Protector A.06.11 Concepts guide. I created such schedule but it requires ZDB license or StorageWorks XP 1 TB license. 

Q1 - Do I have to have such liceses in order to perform a direct back up? If so, can I get a 60 day trial license?

Q2 - What do those requirements (2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 those having question marks at the end) mean? Do I really have to have all of these requirements?

Q3 - Is there any other way of backing up a client through SAN and without a need of a back up server over LAN?

Q4 - Is there any limit in reading speed of disk agent in a back up session (except hardware limit)?

Thanks in advance...