4586 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DP Express - Backup job stuck on "Closing Device"

Grant Cohn
Occasional Advisor

DP Express - Backup job stuck on "Closing Device"

Hello all

We have been running this software for over two years with no problems. Now last week and again today, on of last nights backup jobs completed the back up but the task did not run to completion but was stuck on 'Closing Device" - Im not able to stop or cancel the job. Last resort was to try stop DP Express with ./dplinscv -x. It says stopping but does not stop fully.

I then killed the process doing the ./dplinscv -x

I restart with ./dplinscv -s, its says started, but no connection can be made from any clients.

I had to re-boot the whole server last week, but cant do it again.

Anyone heard of this behaviour before, or able to help me start up the DPX?

Many thanks

Grant Cohn
5 REPLIES 5
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: DP Express - Backup job stuck on "Closing Device"

Hi Grant,

THis was seen on earlier versions when the catalog got large. What version of Data Protector Express are you running?

I recommend updating to the latest version (build 37634) available from http://hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress and see if that helps.

DL

Grant Cohn
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dave

Thanks very much for the reply.

We are on version 3.1 SP4 (Build 25352).

Is an upgrade to your suggested version quite a simple thing to do? I assume all the catalogs and schedules would not be affecetd by the upgrade?

Lastly, if we upgrade one server (the one with the catalog and the tape drive attached), must we upgrade all the servers that use DPX?

Thanks again

Grant.
Grant Cohn
Occasional Advisor

Dave!

Hi again - I have looked at the d/load site and I am d/loading what looks like the latest verison. 3.5 SP2 - Im not sure how that compares with your suggested Build 37634?

Grant.
D Wong
Regular Advisor

D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Grant:

To preserve your previous DPX backup job settings and catalog information, run the software CDROM image and select "Upgrade" icon.

Don't do a new DPX software installation using the "Install" icon.