4310 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DP Express not selecting 'everything'

Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

DP Express not selecting 'everything'

Hi,

I am running Data Protector Express Single Server Edition as supplied with my DAT72 USB drive.
Server is ML350 G5 running WS2008.

DP basically runs without any problems, I have 2 questions I cannot figure out using the website (maybe looking in the wrong place?)

a. When I select the Advanced option for DR, the writing of a boot image on the tape always fails. Is this an option to be purchased seperately? If yes where can I order and what's the price?

b. When I select 'all' data on the C: drive for inclusion into the backup set, the Windows folder is not shown, so cannot be selected and actually never gets onto the tape.
How can I accomplish a true 'full' bcakup of the C-drive?

Thanks very much for your support.

Cheers,
Andr├й
3 REPLIES 3
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Hi Andre,

a. At this time, DR is not supported on WIN2008 (Longhorn) nor on Vista.

b. To do a true full backup, select the server name at the top level. Certain elements of the OS are only backed up if you select the System State.

DL
Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dave,

I tried Symantec BackupExec (a version from about a year ago I had lying around) and ran into same.
I now use WS2008 own backup to save system state and Windows folder to disk. Then let DR take it all to tape.
It's a little bit more work when a full system restore is needed, but ok for restoring single files.
-A
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Sounds like an acceptable compromise until W2008 Dr support is available.