StoreEver Tape Storage
1753877 Members
7562 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dat Tape's DDS3 and DDS4 Lifespan

CA778307

Dat Tape's DDS3 and DDS4 Lifespan

Does anyone know the lifespan of DDS tapes- I do have customers that usually after a year have to replace several DDS tapes in their tape rotation. This is through general use and in a son/grandfather tape rotation sequence. These tapes are stored in a fairly controlled environment as well, ie not stored on the dashboard of someone's vehicle.
I tried getting answers but have not gotten a solid answer.
Anything is possible
2 REPLIES 2
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dat Tape's DDS3 and DDS4 Lifespan

Hi there.
If these tapes are properly stored, you should be able to keep them more than a year.
If you have any specific questions, just email the makers ( Maxell, Fujitsu, Verbatim ).
They should be able to give the deatils about the tapes.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dat Tape's DDS3 and DDS4 Lifespan

Brian-

I think that the best gauge of life is more in number of uses as opposed to time. Here is a link to a thread that has a couple points that should help answer your question. For us, a year probably wouldn't be unreasonable.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xcd9e854994d9d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"