108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Data Protector Express 4.00 sp1 using wrong IP address

SOLVED
Go to solution
Go_HP
Occasional Visitor

Data Protector Express 4.00 sp1 using wrong IP address

We recently installed a second NIC in the Windows 2003 server acting as the Data Protector Express 4.00 sp1 domain server. The server is now binding to the wrong NIC so it is using the wrong IP address. Our other servers can't communicate with Data Protector although they can communicate with the server in general (ping and DNS work).

I don't see any reference to NIC or IP address in the dpconfig.ini file. However when we check the properties - connections section of the server it shows it is using the wrong IP address. We can't edit this field however.

How do we change the Data Protector Express NIC address binding? Is there another INI file it uses?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Go_HP
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Data Protector Express 4.00 sp1 using wrong IP address

I found the answer in another post on this site:

I have two or more network cards in my machine, is this preventing connection to the Data Protector Express Storage Domain?

In some cases a machine with multiple network cards may not be able to connect to the Data Protector Express Storage Domain because communication is attempted via the 'wrong' network card. The solution is to bind Data Protector Express to the network card in the network used by the Data Protector Express Storage Domain.

To bind DPX to a specific network card perform the following steps:

1. Close Data Protector Express.

2. Stop the Data Protector Express Service.

3. Open the dpconfig.ini (Install_Path\config, by default) with a text editor (e.g., Windows NotePad).

4. In the configuration section, add the following line:
    bindTo=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the local network card that communicates with the Data Protector Express Storage Domain.

5. This section should resemble the following:
    configuration
    lastUser=Admin
    lastDomain=Data Protector Express Storage Domain
    nodeGuid={00001001-421F132A-0003F771-FFE580D7}
    databaseServerAddress=localhost
    isDatabaseServer=Yes
    databaseServerName=Data Protector Express Storage Domain
    disableNetwork=No
    remoteAdmin=No
    bindTo=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ;(IP address here)

6. Save the file as a text file and close it.

7. Start the Data Protector Express Service.

8. Data Protector Express should now be able to connect to the Data Protector Express Storage Domain.