StoreEver Tape Storage
1751703 Members
5179 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express - Application Hang

Roxn├дs

Data Protector Express - Application Hang

Im having trouble with Data Protector Express, the application hangs and stops. The backup jobs does not work and the tape doesnt autoeject. The tape loader is a Ultrium 448. The Event viewer on the server populate this error.

Hanging application dpwingad.exe, version 3.10.26718.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
14 REPLIES 14
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Hello,

What operating system are you running?

Also, what anti-virus or spyware applications are you running? Some combinations have been known to cause this issue.

DL
Roxn├дs

Im running Windows 2003 server with service pack 1. Im not running any antivirus/antispyware applications.
Roxn├дs

Sorry, my bad. We are using TrendMicro's Server Protect for antivirus protection.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

You might try temporarily disabling the anti-virus to see if it makes a difference.

Another option would be to install just the GUI on a PC or laptop (it's an option in the custom install) and see if you can manage the backup from there. When you start hte GUI you use enter the IP address of the DP Express Server.

That would help identify where the issue is.

DL
Terence Olsen

I have a similiar problem and error message with Data Protector Express 3.10-sp4 and Ultrium 448 on HP Proliant 350G5 server. DPE freezes after entering the username and password when logging on to localhost. From the task manager I ended Data Protector Express. I went to services and tried to stop the Data Protector Express Service. I received an Error 1053..could not stop service due to timeout. Used the task manager to end task dpwinsdr.exe. Started the Data Protector Service from services. All is working again. The application hang occurs every 3-4 days. We are running Symantec AV Corporate 10.2. A reboot of the server also fixes the problem for 3-4 days. We have other installtions with the same model of server and same O/S and Antivirus. This is the only one that has this problem. Any other ideas on a permanent fix?
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

You might try upgrading to Version 3.5 and see if the behavior is any different. There is a link to the upgrade at http://hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress
Icicle Icicle

Hi all,

I also have this problem, but m already using v3.5 and without any antivirus installed.

I see in the Task Manager that there is a processes named "dpwingad.exe which is constantly taking up 25% of CPU and around 30MB, this process looks like its freezed up. and when i end the process the admin console can be killed.

But even after i launch the console again and run a backup job, the console become freezed again.

Can anyone help?

Chris
Maurizio Terrin

Hi all,

I also have this problem, i'm already using v3.5 and without any antivirus installed in
Windows 2003 SP1 enviroment.

Please, help us.

Maurizio
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

dpwingad.exe is the GUI application and generally only should be running if the GUI is running and there should only be one instance of it running at a time.

Since you are running a Server OS, make sure you don't have any old remote desktops out there with Data Protector Express running on them. If necessary and as a last resort, reboot the server to clean everything up and then run the GUI and see if it still hangs.

DL