StoreEver Tape Storage
1753266 Members
5224 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Data Protector Express - Server 2008

Phil Ash

Data Protector Express - Server 2008

We have just purchased an HP StorageWorks Ultrium 920 tape drive. HP’s web site implies that the included HP Data Protector Express Software is not compatible with Windows Server 2008. Is this true, if so does HP have an update so that we can use our new tape drive.

Thanks, Phil.
4 REPLIES 4
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Re: Data Protector Express - Server 2008

Hi Phil:

A new version of DPX will be coming out soon to support Windows 2008.

Phil Ash

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea of timescales or where we may look on HP's web site for details of how to obtain the new version.

Phil.
André Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

Like youI'm waiting for the new release.
I'm using DPE-SSE and it does work on WS2k8, except does not see the system state.
I use the standard Windows backup to create the system state backup on disk and include it on the tape.
Takes a bit more space for now (always does full volume), but it works.
Disaster recovery will be slightly more complex, more steps, but it's still doable.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Data Protector Express 4.0 was released Monday, June 16. It supports full backup and recovery of Win2008 and Vista (w/SP1) including system state. Because MS changed how DR is done in 2008/Vista, the developers had to re-write the BMDR code and that will be available this Fall.

I just checked the web and the upgrade files aren't there yet but the they should be available online within a week.

Version 4.0 requires new license keys. If you are a registered user with an existing support agreement (basically bought it within the last 12 months) you will receive an email with instructions on how to request the upgrade keys at no charge.

Users without an existing support agreement will have to purchase the upgrade (generally about 50% of original list).

DL