4496 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express does not backup network drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lorenzo Coronati

Data Protector Express does not backup network drives

Hello, i have downloaded the latest version (3.10 sp4) and upgraded my installation of dpe.
Now i can't backup drive letters that are mapped network shares (and before, i could, obviously).
In the "selection" page of the backup job properties i can't expand the tree on the network letters.
What happens?
8 REPLIES 8
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor
Solution

Backup of mapped network drives is not supported. I worked in early versions of Data Protector Express but had some potential problems and support was explicitly removed.

There is a work around but all scheduled backups are stopped and the backup can only be run in interactive mode.

- Exit the GUI
- Stop the Data Protector Express service
- Run the GUI
- Data Protector Express in running only in interactive mode
- Run the backup
- Stop the GUI
- Restart the Data Protector Express service
- Scheduling is now re-enabled

DL
Lorenzo Coronati

thanks a lot, Dave
Ivan Lagace

Hello Dave,

I followed your instructions but when I open the Data Protector Express it still does not see any of my mapped drives. I do not even see the drive letters (but I see them in Explorer.

How can I access or add them so IU acn select files for the Backup?

Thanks,
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

When you load the GUI after stopping the Data Protector Express process, make sure that the header on the GUI window doesn't say "Secondary". If it does, the service is not yet stopped and you cannot access mapped drives until it is stopped.

Go back to Control Panel, Services, and try to stop the service again.

DL
Kevin Rengert

Dave-

I have a customer who has downloaded the eval version and is considering an upgrade from the "single server" edition.

He is trying to go through the tutorial here:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01060008/c01060008.pdf

He gets to step 6 and cannot see any computers or shares on the network when he clicks the "folders" button.

Is this the same issue as above? Does he need a different product to back up his desktops accross the network?
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Kevin:

The DPX SSE version is meant for backing up only a single server machine. To backup individual client machines over the network, you need a DPX full version license to backup machines over the network.

DPX allows you to backup unlimited Windows client machines over the network e.g Window XP, Windows Vista without additional network client agent license keys. Just install the DPX software on the Windows client machines use the same backup domain.

However, if you need to backup a server machine over the network e.g. Window 2003 server or Windows 2000 server then you need extra DPX Network Backup Server Client Agent license keys.

If you are trying to backup a network mapped share disk, then try what Dave Lancaster's suggested.
Kevin Rengert

D Wong-

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly certain I understand what features are present in the different editions of the software, that is exactly why I had him download the full version eval. because the SSE won't back up his desktops.

From what you wrote, am I to understand that he has to install it on each desktop and go around to each machine to configure the backup? I thought the idea was to be able to back up the desktops from one centrally managed console?

That seems exactly backwards from the tutorial here:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01060008/c010600
08.pdf

which specifically says in step 6, that he should be able to "drill down" through the network to a specific folder on a specific machine. Am I missing something?
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Lorenzo:

The reason for installing the DPX software bits on the client machines is that DPX needs to communicate with the client machine to see the data. The software sets up the commnication path/port for the Main Backup Domain Server machine in order to recognize the client machine as part of its domain.