StoreEver Tape Storage
1753523 Members
9155 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express is unable to connect to the primary Domain Server instance.

DavidALines
Advisor

Data Protector Express is unable to connect to the primary Domain Server instance.

I posted a question last week but appear to have lost it.

I am running two ML350 G5 servers with MS 2003 SBS SP2 and MS 2003 Svr SP2 installed.

Data Protector Express 3.50 SP2 is installed on the SVR as the master and SBS as a slave. Up until recentil SBS could see SVR. Now it cannot. We have had so many problems it is difficult to determine when this started. We had our first good backup on the weekend after 3 months of failures.

The error message on the SBS server is

Data Protector Express is unable to connect to the primary Domain Server instance. Please verify the domain name and IP address configuration are correct and that the Domain Server is running.

I would like to know what might cause this. and How I might resolve it. I have installed Kaspersky over the last couple of weeks and that is an obvious candidate. But I have stopped all Kaspersjy services and I still get the error message. On top of that DPE will need to work with Kaspersky.

It appears the error on the SBS means the SVR cannot see it or back it up? Exchange is not being backed up. Cant tell what is being backed up - the log file says
Job name
Selected 313125 objects, 318.92 GB
Completed 313125 objects, 318.92 GB (100%)

Who knows what that is made up of. But it also says

The backup of object First Storage Group was not attempted. See below for further details.

The backup of object Queued Messages (MTA) was not attempted. See below for further details.

Surprising - there are no "further details" and exchange logs are growing and growing.
6 REPLIES 6
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Data Protector Express is unable to connect to the primary Domain Server instance.

Have you tried rebooting the domain server ?
what version and build of DPE do you have ?

Please attact DPconfig.ini without the license here

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
DavidALines
Advisor

Data Protector Express 3.50 SP2 is installed. I have not restarted the SBS server - will give that a try.
DavidALines
Advisor

Have restarted the server - no change
ashraf.khalifah1
Occasional Contributor

Hi David
we Have the same problem "Data Protector Express is unable to connect to the primary Domain Server instance. Please verify the domain name and IP address configuration are correct and that the Domain Server is running."

so could you tell me how did you resolve this issue>its urgent for us
Rajanikant
HPE Pro

Hi,

DP Express only binds to one IP Address. This address is taken from the first
network adapter DP Express detects. At times this may not be the address you would
like DP Express to use.

To view the IP address that a machine has registered with, log into DP Express and
go to the Database Tab, then click the "+" sign on your network. Now right click
the PC with the you wish to view the IP address of and go to Properties. Then
select Address Tab (it├в s grayed out but still selectable).

This issue can also be caused by running DP Express running on a machine running
DHCP. In such cases DP Express will lose communication if it's IP address changes.

Verify that all machines running DP Express are using static IP addresses. If
DP Express is binding to the wrong IP Address to communicate, use the following
steps to Manually bind DP Express to the correct IP address.

1. Go to the computer where DP Express is using the incorrect IP Address
2. Exit the DP Express Administrator and Stop the DP Express Service
3. Open the DP Express.ini file in the installed directory for DP Express
(c:\program files\DP Express by default)
4. Locate the section labeled ""
5. In this section add the line "localHost=x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the IP
Address you would like DP Express to use.
6. Save the file, start DP Express├в s Service.

Hope this helps

Regards
Rajanikant
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Rajanikant
HPE Pro

Hi,

This can also happen if there is an another instance of DPX server running in the same sub-net.

Rajanikant
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo