StoreEver Tape Storage
1753797 Members
7477 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Protector Service Hung on Starting

Data Protector Service Hung on Starting

I'm experiencing this problem: whenever I boot our server, based on Microsoft's SBS 2003 Premium, as the "three fingers" window comes on, I also get a message stating that one or more services were unable to start.
If I look at the services applet, every service that is configured for automatic startup is actually started. On the other side, I can find a system message, in the messages applet, stating that the Data Protector Service hung on starting.
I guess that this behaviour depends on that the system tries to start the service too early at boot.
So my question is: can I workaround this problem making the Data Protector service dependant on another service that does not start too early? And, if yes, which one could be the most suitable one?
On the contrary, can this message be a warning of a wrong configuration? In this case, what could be the best remedy?
Many thanks in advance for your time, kind regards,
Riccardo
2 REPLIES 2
Amal el-hawrani
Occasional Advisor

Re: Data Protector Service Hung on Starting

Hi Riccardo,

Here is a work around for the problem you are experiencing. Please note that this work around does rely on users having the Data Protector Express application running to ensure that scheduled jobs are run correctly - i.e. a user / administrator needs to be logged in all of the time on the server.

1) During the installation of Data Protector Express 3.1 select the "Custom" installation option and click Next.
2) On the next screen un-tick the "Creat Data Protector Express Service" option. This will then not install the service for Data Protector.
3) Once the application is installed, to ensure that scheduled backup jobs are run, the Data Protector Express adminstration application must be running.

If the application is already installed, then stop and disable the Data Protector Express Service via the management console for services. Again the Data Protector Express administration application will need to be running to ensure the correct operation of any scheduled jobs.

Hope this is helpful.
David Nadle

Re: Data Protector Service Hung on Starting

I found a possible solution. It worked on my Win2k 2003 Standard R2 box.

Set the "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service start property to Automatic. This service is a dependency of the Data Protector Express service; the time delay in starting it on demand may be causing the problem.