108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data protector will not do a barcode scan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stig Morten Neg├еrd
Occasional Advisor

Data protector will not do a barcode scan

When i try to do a manual barcodescan (after removing some tapes) it starts with the scan, but it is never finishing. The slot list do not change either. I just get the header with [normal] status (telling "STARTING Media Agent").

I restarted the server which this agent is running on, but it did not help.

I do not know if this is the reason, but last night one of my backupjobs also terminated without writing noting to the tape. Some jobs finished ok..

anyone knows this behavor on DataProtector 5.10
6 REPLIES 6
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Stiq,

I have had this before, when I had a problem with my tape array. Has anything altered in your tape array, what is your tape array?

Regards,

JASH
If I can, I will!
Stig Morten Neg├еrd
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

Well, I'm not sure what you meen by tape array, but if it is the slots of my msl6030 robot, I made some changes. Well, I did what I do at least one time every week and that is to remove/replace some tapes in the store (for offsite storrage). This normaly goes ok, but this is the first time it has stopped working after this procedure.

JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Stiq,

Yes I did mean your MSL robot, sorry for confusion there. It does sound to me like you are having a problem with your MSL unit. I would make sure you have all the latest firmware loaded onto it, for the drives. If you have hardware and software support I would get them to have a look at it for you.

Changing tapes in the loader will not cause this, unless you leave the door slightly open, by accident, but even then it should time out, depending what you have your timeout setting to.

It could be that the tape unit thinks it has something already running on one of your drives, a reboot of the unit may clear it. Check your front panel and see if it thinks it still has a tape anywhere, clearing that could also help.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful in this instance.

Regards,

JASH
If I can, I will!
Stig Morten Neg├еrd
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

Well, the thing is that when I did a mediascan from the panel on the robot, it seems to do a proper barcodescan, and now it seems to work well from dataprotector aswell.

So for now the case seems to be closed.

Thank you very much for your help!!
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Stiq,

Sounds like it just got itself in a muddle.

Glad ok now.

Regards,

JASH
If I can, I will!
Stig Morten Neg├еrd
Occasional Advisor

manual scan from panel did the job!!