7731 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DataProtector Express error 4305

DJokinen
Occasional Advisor

DataProtector Express error 4305

Hi,

A customer of mine has a problem with DPE and the error is "Error 4305: Block size is larger than the maximum allowed transfer size".

I googled it and found it was a known problem with version 3.10 of DPE, but I'm getting it now on version 3.50-sp2. I even installed the hotfix (hotfix3-BB117-10008-dpx-v3.50-sp2-37634-all-all-web.iso) but I'm still getting the 4305 error.

I think this is happening because Windows removable storage had the tape "indexed" so to speak. I deleted the tape from the removable storage library and deactivated the removable storage service, but that didn't help.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks for your time and effort.
5 REPLIES 5
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Jokinen:

What brand and model of tape drive are you using?

Is the tape cartridge the correct type for your model of tape drive? Have you tried a different or brand new tape cartridge?

Have you tried to run HP LTT diagnostic software on the tape drive to see if it is working correctly?

Is the tape drive up to date on its firmware.

Also, when using Data Protector Express to do backups, you should first quick erase the tape cartridge before starting the backup job.
DJokinen
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

It's a brand new storageworks DAT72 (AE350AT) delivered with 5 backup tapes. The drive was installed just over a week ago and the tapes have never been used before. The backup worked fine the first week but since the customer set up the backup job by himself and didn't set the rotation parameters correctly DPE wanted to have a new unused set of tapes for week 2. I've corrected the setup and erased (using the guide within DPE) the tapes. But now I'm getting this 4305 error instead.

As I said, the tapes were bundled with the drive, so I take for granted they're compatible. I've got no info about the firmware at this point as I've only got remote access to the server at certain times but I'll check it next time.

Any more ideas?
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Jokinen:

A DPX Error 4305 is "An illegal block length has been set for a tape command. This is normally handled internally and is not reported. If this error is reported it may indicate device/media problems. It is possible that it may result from erroneous information in the device initialization file dpdevice.ini."

Just in case you have accidently modified your dpdevice.ini by mistake, the below is what the default dpdevice.ini should look like.

bufferSize=8 ; default buffer size in MB

timeoutImmediate=30000 ; immediate commands (30 sec)
timeoutCommand=60000 ; general i/o commands (1 min)
timeoutShortMove=600000 ; short move commands (10 min)
timeoutLongMove=1200000 ; long move commands (20 min)
timeoutLongErase=14400000 ; long erase commands (4 hours)
maxCommandRetry=10 ; number of times a command will be
; retried when a bus error is detected

bufferSize=2 ; use a 2MB buffer
eject=yes

bufferSize=32 ; use a 32MB buffer
disableModeSenseSelect10=Yes ; default to no mode sense/select 10 support
disableMam=Yes ; disable mam support, since too many
; controllers fail to map this command

bufferSize=2 ; use a 2MB buffer

disableModeSenseSelect10=Yes ; default to no mode sense/select 10 support

synchBuffer=1

packetSize=128

disableWormMedia=Yes
disableMic=Yes

disableModeSenseSelect10=No

ProStor RDX
DELL RD1000
QUANTUM GoVault
TANDBERG RDX
HP RDX

I would still check if the USB DAT72 tape drive is working correctly by running the HP LTT diagnostic software "Read/Write test".

Also, try stopping and starting DPX services.
DJokinen
Occasional Advisor

Thanks D Wong, your suggestions helped! I replaced the contents of the dpdevice.ini with yours and restarted DPE, then did a quick erase of the tape and viola!

Thanks a bunch!
Scanmps

Wonderful, it worked on. AllRight!.

I just changed the file .ini and solved my problem.

Thanks Very Much.