StoreEver Tape Storage
1753451 Members
6155 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DataProtectorExpress - Invalid Media Errors

Steve Vogelaar

DataProtectorExpress - Invalid Media Errors

I am a newbie to tape backup, so forgive my probably stupid question. I have used the wizard in DPE, to create a Simple-6 rotation. It works for a few days and now I am getting Invalid and Incorrect Media Errors. We have labeled our tapes Mon-Fri and Month End as the rotation would expect, I have set Full backup Mode with Overwrite all media and autoformat tapes. I still receive Invalid /Incorrect Media errors. How do I just get the software to backup on the tape I put and and not complain about it.
Thanks in advance for any help shed on this matter.
2 REPLIES 2
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: DataProtectorExpress - Invalid Media Errors

Hi Steve,

If you look at the rotation schedule for your job you will see that a Simple-6 rotation scheme will create 3 daily tapes, 1 weekly tape, and 2 monthly tapes rather than the m-f plus monthly tapes you were expecting. YOu get the error message because Data Protector Express is looking for something like "Daily-3" and you're trying to use the tape you have labled Thursday but DP Express thinks it "Daily-1" or something like that. I think you get the idea.

You can make Data Protector Express create the tape set you wanted by creating a custom rotation.

1. Within Data Protector Express, go to the "Schedule" page in the properties of the job you have already set up.

2. Select "Custom Rotation" as the Rotation Type.

3. Select "Fixed by day of week" as the Type of Fixed Rotation.

4. Click on the Daily button and set it to do a full backup every day with one (1) tape set.

5. Click on the Monthly button and set it to do a full backup on the last day of each month with one (1) tape set.

I have attached a screenshot with highlights to help you see what is should look like when you are finished.

What you will end up with is 5 tapes labeled Monday through Friday plus a monthly tape labeled October, November, etc.

You will need new tapes or you can use Data Protector Express to erase your current M-F tapes and then start over.

You will need a new tape for each monthly backup or you can decide how long you want to keep the monthly backups and erase and reuse the tapes.

You can check the schedule to visually see what is going to happen when and which tape you should use. On the attached screenshot you can see that my example would start out with a monthly backup and would label the tape October. For the Daily backups you would use the tape for the appropriate day (M-F).

I know this is long but I hope it helps.

Dave L.
Steve Vogelaar

Re: DataProtectorExpress - Invalid Media Errors

Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I have modified my scheduling as you say, and I came up with something very close. I have attached my screenshot for reference. I will see how it runs, but will keep your screenshot incase my schedule still acts up.
I really appreciate your reply.

Steve