New Discussion

Re: Direct Attach an MSL6060 via fiber to DL380G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Direct Attach an MSL6060 via fiber to DL380G5

Hi Experts

Can anyone help with a query regarding the hardware required to direct-attach an MSL606 to a DL380 via fiber?

Currently this is connected via a brocade fiber switch and is "zoned" and the library has a fiber/scsi bridge.

We have to remove the brocade switch as the equipment is being sold. I need to some how attach the library to the server for Data Protector.

I'm guessing I can purchase a scsi card for the server and attach it that way?????

But is there a way of using a direct fiber connection from server to the fiber/scsi card on the library?

If so what hardware part number will I need to purchase? (hba cards? sfp's?)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey,

if you just use the existing fibre card in the DL380G5 that should be enough - connect it to the fc ports on the library.

You need to configure the MSL6060 ports for "direct attach" (it's probably called something else).

As this server (and the HBA's wwn) has already been mapped in the NSR that part should be fine.

Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Johan

Thank you for replying to my information request.

i hae looked at the library via IP management address and cannot see an option to cahnge any fibre connections.

I have also logged intot the NSR card and can see FC options but none show "direct attach" or any variant of that.

i have attached a screen shot of the FC port setting on the NSR card (e1200-320 4G) and the port mode is N-Port. The other option is "Auto - Sense".

Do you think it may be the Auto Sense option?

Best Regards

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, it looks like that. I couldn't find any manual for the E1200-320 but in the e1200-160 it says this:

Auto Sense: In this mode, the Fibre Channel port tries to negotiate as a
loop. If it is not successful, then the Fibre Channel port negotiates as a
fabric. If the port comes up as a loop, it then determines whether it is on a
private or public loop.

Loop is what you want.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29075/lpg29075.pdf page 57

Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Johan

I set the FC port to "Auto-Sense" and rebooted the NSR card, but it didn't work.

I tried the fibre connection in both ports on the HBA card in the server (QLogic HPAE312A) but did not get a link. (Rebooted the Library as well). These ports were originally used for storage connections for this server.

Would this HBA card support a direct attached tape library?

Regards

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hm. Perhaps QLogic's Sansurfer can give you some more information about the HBA.

Couldn't find much details about the card, maybe you can. Some is in here http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12604_na/12604_na.html#Technical Specifications

Maybe there are firmware updates you should apply.

Reboot server?

Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Johan

I have managed to fix the issue with the library.

Thank you for your very helpful input.

I had to change the following to get the device connected via direct fibre: -

• The fibre cable needed to be "crossed".
  • I set the FC Port settings on the Fibre/SCSI bridge card in the MSL6060 to "Auto Sense".
  • I set the FC port on the HBA card to "Loop Prefered, otherwise Point to Point"
  • Rebooted both card and Library

All is working in Data Protector as well.

Many thanks