108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Directly Connecting an MSL6030 via Fibre to DL380 G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Directly Connecting an MSL6030 via Fibre to DL380 G7

I need to directly connect via fibre a DL380/G7 to an MSL6030 tape Library.

The library has a fibre/scsi card (HP StorageWorks e1200-320 4G Interface Controller) and the server has an HBA Card (HPAJ764A).

I have a link light on the library interface, but the library is not showing in Data Protector. I have set the speed on the HBA card from "auto" to 4Gb as the library card is a 4Gb card.

Do I need to set anything on the library card (NSR).

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Directly Connecting an MSL6030 via Fibre to DL380 G7

Adam,

Directly connecting the NSR to the FC BA without a SAN switch in between will require the NSR to be allowed to configure itself as a LOOP device. In the GUI of the NSR of the NSR, select the 'Ports' option. From there select the 'FC Port 0'. Change the 'port mode' from 'N_Port' to 'Auto-Sense'. This tells the NSR to check for LOOP first.

hope this helps,

-Eric

Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply.

I have set the NSR card to the settings you suggested, but I'm still getting a "Down" status.

I have attached some screen shots showing the NSR card and the HBA settings. Hopefully it will help try and resolve this issue.

Thanks for all your help with the matter.

Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eric

Managed to sort out the issue. It seems that you must have the device disconnected when changing the settings on the NSR card.

Once I changed the Port settings and then attached the fibre to the HBA, the link was established and it's working fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Adam Reynolds_1
Frequent Advisor

Eric

How do you assign points for your solution?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>How do you assign points for your solution?

You click on the Kudos thumbs-up.  (In addition to the solution item you have already done.)

Dan from Peters
Occasional Advisor

fighting a similar issue, we have a 415/815 4g/8g dual port HBA in the server, we moved the library from a fabric switch connecting it to the old backup server to a direct connection to a new G7.

The NSR only goes as high as 2G in config on it.  I disabled BIOS on the HBA ports and set both HBA ports down to 2G.  What about the Boot LUN setting, with BIOS disabled (don't want to try to boot off the library anyway) that shouldn't matter should it?

the NSR shows the link as up and in loop but no changers or tape drives showing up in windows device manager.

NSR firmware is 5.6.78

Brocade BIOS is 2.3.0.3