StoreEver Tape Storage
1748285 Members
3842 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Does anyone else have problem with HP surestore (C7200-8000, 6/140)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Does anyone else have problem with HP surestore (C7200-8000, 6/140)

Hi!
Every since we upgraded Omniback 3.50 to 4.10 we have had a lot of problem with out HP surestore 6/140 library. HP have changed "everything" on it and upgraded the firmware several times, changed GBIC??s (both on the library and the server). The last call from HP is that we should replace all DLT tapes with new ones (meaning that our tapes are dirty and caused the problems)

I would like to know if you have similare problems with your HP Surestore library.

Thanks!
Fredde
11 REPLIES 11
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else have problem with HP surestore (C7200-8000, 6/140)

Frederik,
which problems? Explain in details. Post LTT report here (as attachment). Are you sure that nothing else changed with OB upgrade?
Eugeny
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

We did have some serious issues with our 4/60 SureStore.... we would have random I/O related failures that would crush the library to the point we had to power cycle the thing, manually clear the drives, reset the barcode info in omniback and attempt to recover several tapes now marked as poor. The issue for us, based on 2+ months of error free ops, was the firmaware on the LTO drives in the library. A firmware upgrade on the drives and library resolved all of our issues. I find it hard to believe that anyone would blame "dirty" tapes as the problem. I assume simply replacing your inventory of tapes is not a realistic solution? Do you have any stand-alone drives in the mix that are (or can be) used for some validation? If dirty tapes are disrupting drives in the library, the same may be true of the stand-alones. One interesting occurrence with the firmware upgrade we had was that after it was complete, only HP cleaning tapes would work in the drives. I had IBM cleaning tapes and they failed with the library complaining about "invalid" cleaning tape....

I also concur with the first response.. details will help a lot in getting some help

Ted
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Hi!

I have attached some common errors and a Library report.
Fredde
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Eugeny, we have 3 other tape libraries that haven??t had any problems since the upgrade. We use same type of DLT tapes and recycle policy etc.
HP have installed the latest FW.
Fredde
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Fredrick,
library is connected to FC and every adapter is in loop (why not fabric?) with alpa=01. I should know how lib is connected to host/SAN, using hub, switch or direct to HBA.
Anyway it's good idea to try new tape to check and tell HP if tape is the cause or not.
If your other libraries are in the same config I recommend you to compare reports for them and upderstand what differences do you have.
So I need:
- connectivity description
- which devices used (sw, hub, direct)
- which server you have (model, OS);
- are all libs have same config;
- try new tape and what are results.
Eugeny
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Eugeny,

the 6/140 lib. is connected directly to three HBA??s (1HBA serve 2 DLT 8000 drives). The server is a L2000 with 2CPU, 2GB, HP-UX 11.00.

The other libraries are:
HP 4/48 (A4855A) DLT 7000, FC-SCSI MUX
2 * HP 2/28 (A3546A) , direct attached -SCSI

All have "203":
crw-r--r-- 1 root sys 203 0x086000 Jan 19 2002 robotics_0

We have 2 cell servers in a MOM environment,
cell server A have the 6/140 and one 2/28 library and cell server B the other two. Cell server A is also MOM, media and license server.

Fredde
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,
all these should be ok. Please install HP Library and tape tools and generate support ticket and attach here. LTT is available from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html .
I will check library's health completely
Eugeny
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Hi!

LTT report attached.
Fredde
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Fredrick, unfortunately I can not open this with LTT... please check when I open it as txt file doing 'save as' from explorer it has size 262342 bytes. Please could you try to open this .ltt file locally on your machine and confirm that it works and has same size as I see?
Eugeny