1752282 Members
4837 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Downed Drives with NetBackup 5.1 MP3

Julian_46

Downed Drives with NetBackup 5.1 MP3

Hi
I have a simliar problem to one of the other noters in this forum in that I get downed drives and the tape librbary indicates that a software application did not release the drive.

NetBackup attempts to unload a drive and finds that it can't which in turn downs the drive.

This is a SAN based solution using LT03, MSL6060 e-1200 NSR's. I belive I've taken care of all the usual things such as disabling RSM, using L&TT I've even had a week without problems. Have you folks got any thoughts on this issue.
2 REPLIES 2
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

-check via library front panel the drives' serial number
-make sure your netbackup media server(s) points their 'drive index' to the correct phisical drive
-in case of mismatch, delete the wrong drives and re-run the NB device wizard

make sure also that your nsr is using STATIC maps (=indexed; do not use auto assigned).
In SAN switches, do not mix tape drives and disks in the same zone. Make a zone for each media server's HBA including the switch ports of the HBA itself and the NSR

HTH
Claudio
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

You might be able to find out which software application is holding them using handle.exe from www.sysinternals.com. Not 100% sure if it shows \\.\Tape entries though :/

If it indicates that NBU is holding the drive yet NBU says it isn't, you now have evidence to take to Veritas to show them the problem.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.