4504 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Downgrade firmware on Compaq SuperDLT1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trond Skille

Downgrade firmware on Compaq SuperDLT1

I just upgraded firmware to rev. V085 using "hp StorageWorks library and tape tools". Now Backup Exec v. 6.0 tells me that there is an device error.
The device is off-line. A driver maby. I tried to restart services on backup server, and restart backup robot. No luck.
When i try to downgrade firmware, it says I need a password.
Someone know where I can get that password, or know someting else that can help me out here.
Im worried the backup tonight will fail..

-Regards Trond, Norway
8 REPLIES 8
Trond Skille

Re: Downgrade firmware on Compaq SuperDLT1

Opps sorry, the version on Backup Exec is 8.6 rev. 3878
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Contact HP!
They can send you a temporary password.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
otto warlich
Regular Advisor

Hello Trond,

DId you also changed the drivers of BE. They use the firmware version by installation. So if you update the firmware of your drive you also have to reconfigure the BE drivers.

With regards,

Otto
Trond Skille

Thanks!
Called HP, got contact after waiting 80mins.... (First 15 with classical music:(
But I got the password, and now it works like a charm.

-Regards
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Trond,

What version of firwmare did you need to downgrade to?

Is this a standalone drive or in an autoloader?

I assume it's the SDLT220.

Can you light bulb the issue by upgrading to V85 again? It would be good to rule out the drive/system being in a unknown state after the firmware update. Note: On Windows, when the firmawre is updated the device manager sees it as a different device and usually detects it as "unsafe removal". Did you try rebooting the system?

You most likely have a 20 day password for LTT, so you can downgrade again if you have the problem occur after the update.

The V85 firmware had very little changes (only addressed a write protect issue).

Regards,
HP Engineering.

The journey IS the reward.
Trond Skille

Hi.

I downgraded to V82.
The drive only says SuperDLT1, so im not sure what it is.
I also got an MSL5000. In LTT the SDLT1 is connected "below" the MSL5000.

I did not try to reboot the system, since the server also serves some other applications.

I cant try it once more, since the password was only valid for 2 days. And i wont sit and wait for support over an hour again....

Regards, Trond
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I downgraded to V82.

Thanks. Very little change from V82 to V85.

> The drive only says SuperDLT1, so im not sure what it is.

That's the SDLT 110/220 drive.

> I also got an MSL5000. In LTT the SDLT1 is connected "below" the MSL5000.

I assume the MSL has it's own drives separate from a standalone drive you are referring to. Right?

> I did not try to reboot the system, since the server also serves some other applications.

It's possible that the device errors were due to the device handle no longer being availble after the firmware update (because the firwmare version returned in the inquiry string is used by windows to make a unique device ID), and by downgrading the firmware the device then became available again.

Are there any application logs with the error messages we could review?

> I cant try it once more, since the password was only valid for 2 days. And i wont sit and wait for support over an hour again....

The password is really good for 3 days (since we don't know what time zone folks are in). If the password expires, send an email to ltt_team@hp.com to my attention, and I'll send you a 20 day password (note this offer is only good for you :-).
The journey IS the reward.
Trond Skille

Yup, I think you got right about the drive. I didnt set up this backup server, so I dont know all about it, but I think the MSL5000 got its own drivers. Tho it wouldnt backup when I was using the other firmware. Is the internal SDLT reader in the MSL5000 recognized as a SDLT?

I'm sorry I dont have any logs.

I only work here until next week, so I actually dont think I got the time for it. I also need to remake all backup jobs here, since it all just crap:p.

Thanks for the offer;) If I got the time, I will look into it, and email you.