1752595 Members
3836 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive not detected in Windows 2003, please help

MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

Drive not detected in Windows 2003, please help

I have a DL380 G4 server with Windows Server 2003 installed. Into it I have installed a LSI Logic 53C875 SCSI card with dual internal and external ports, to it I have connected an external HP Surestore DLT 70 tape drive.

The LSI SCSI card is detected during the server's POST but it does not detect any devices during POST or in it's own configuration utility/BIOS. The manual for the LSI card says that some tape drives may not be configurable via the LSI card utility.

Windows Server 2003 is also not seeing the external DLT drive and I cannot understand why. It is connected properly, with the correct cable, the drive has SCSI ID of 5.

I have tried different SCSI ID numbers, moved the SCSI card to a different PCI slot in the server, removed termination on the DLT drive, swapped ports it is connected to with and without termination and nothing helps.

I also downloaded HP StorageWorks software to see if it could identify the tape drive and it cannot?

Any suggestions? Please help
Mike
8 REPLIES 8
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Re: Drive not detected in Windows 2003, please help

if i am correct then the LSI interface you are using is LVD/SE SCSI.
you have to make sure that your DLT uses the same SCSI BUS and is not Fast wide diff.

T
"Life is what you make out of them!"
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

How can I check that for sure?
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

the DLT shoud have a lable in the back (purple lable is fastwide diff, red or yellow are LVD/SE).

If you can not find a label, look for the symbols, check the following link:

http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/iec/05DTSCSI.html

make sure you terminate with the correct terminator.

T
"Life is what you make out of them!"
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, they both in fact has a yellow SCSI/SE label on the back.
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

You need first turn on your tape device, whait until it shows ready or finishes all tests, then turn your server on nad check if you can see your tape unit under your SCSI controller card.
This SCSI controller card only works with Single Ended or Differential devices with ultra SCSI comunication.
Keep learning!!!
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

MSECO ... I have done that, and still do not see it under the LSI SCSI card's config utility accessible during the server's POST.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "This SCSI controller card only works with Single Ended or Differential devices with ultra SCSI comunication."

The tape drive device is a SCSI SE device, doesn't that mean it is Single-Ended?

How would I know whether or not it is "Ultra SCSI communciation"?

The LSI card has a smaller connection, like a HD50 or VHDCI.

The tape drive has a larger connection, like a HD68.

I have also just tried an external drive with a different connection, that matched the LSI card's connection and it also never showed up in the LSI card's configuration utility nor in Windows?
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mike,

Check this link:

http://www.delec.com/guide/scsi/

You have a ultra SCSI controller (50pins) and Fast wide SCSI tape device (68 pins)

You can also mix Wide and Narrow, Fast-SCSI2 and Ultra SCSI Compaq Pluggable drives.
However, The bus (all 16 Datalines) must be properly terminated and you can not plug in a Wide SCSI Drive into an old Narrow SCSI Server, since the connectors are too wide. If you use a Wide (68pin, 16Bit) to Narrow (50pin, 8Bit) Adapter, make sure that the termination is at the WIDE side of the bus.

There are some cases where for one or another reason you can not mix.

Keep learning!!!
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, I am reviewing the website you included.

So you are saying that the problem is:

I am trying to connect an ultra SCSI controller (50 pins - LSI card) to a

---------->

Fast wide SCSI tape device (68 pins - tape drive)?

What about when I try connecting an ultra SCSI controller (50 pin - LSI card) to a ultra SCSI tape drive (50 pin - DLT 40 drive)?

I really appreciate your assistance and wealth of information on this.

Thank you!
Mike