cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drv Fail trying to access tape

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Drv Fail trying to access tape

Hi there. My 8-cart autoloader is connected to the internal on-board SCSI controller in the ML370, running NetWare 5.0. I've loaded NSSD_6.10.

I'm running Backup Exec v8.5 for NetWare with the updated besrvr.NLM. BE loads OK and displays the status of both the Loader and the Drive, but when I try to do a tape operation (a write or a retension or an erase) BE gives the red screen saying Mount operation failed and then if you OK that it sets the Drive Status to Drv Fail, and you have to shut down and restart Backup Exec.

Last time I saw this sort of error I fixed it by enabling multiple LUN support with a /LUN switch on the scsi controller (non-cpq) load line in startup.ncf but I don't know how to do this with cpqscsi.ham. Novell's support mentions LUN_ENABLE=FF but I think this is just for Adaptec controllers.

Any ideas?
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Drv Fail trying to access tape

The netware article that mentions lun_enable is 10020068 - available on their website. The other thing that article mentions, is use of nwaspi.cdm, not nwtape.cdm.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Drv Fail trying to access tape

This does not work. Everytime I add the LUN_Enable=FF after my cpqscsi.ham Netware will not boot. Please make some clarity on how to enable LUN support. Is LUN enabled on the controller (hardware wise)?