4090 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dual MSL6030

SOLVED
Go to solution

Dual MSL6030

Hi.

I have two questions that I would be grateful if I could get assistance with.

1. Can the tapes in 2 MSL6030 be part of the same pool??

Which is the best way to utilize 2 MSL6030 if you have 80 clients to backup?

2. Can you use the diskagent for DP (omniback) 4.1 to take backup with a DP 5.5? This since DP 5.5 do not support HPUX 10.20.

Thanks in advance.

Br
Richard
3 REPLIES 3
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Dual MSL6030

Hi,

1. Yes.

Could you please be more specific about your problems/questions. A general recommendation is to use as few policys and media pools as possible and use the Free Pool concept.

2. It may work (I have not tried) but is NOT supported. A supported "workaround" for backing up HP-UX 10.20 is NFS mounts.

Hi.
Thanks for your quick answer.

What does the "use free pool" option do?

If we connect 2 MSL6030 to a server and have one pool we have no means of telling which server is going to store its data on which MSL?

What do wou mean when you say "as few policies as possible"?

Br
Richard
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi.

DP moves expired (unprotected) media to a Free Pool. When a backup session need a media, the media is picked from the Free Pool and moved to the correct pool.

You can adress a backup to a specific library by selecting logical devices for the backup. A device always belong to a specific library.

For ex. Protection time. A media is protected until ALL backup objects on the media has expired. If you mix objects with different protection times on the same media, media usage will be less effecient.