3949 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: During DP backup, Qlogic HBA FC1142SR three LEDs Turned On

Wang Haitao
Frequent Advisor

During DP backup, Qlogic HBA FC1142SR three LEDs Turned On

Hi all,

I need your help please. First I introduce the background below:(see attachment)

DL380 G5 is a DP Cell Manager that runs 32-bit windows 2003 server, two FC HBA(Qlogic HBA FC1142SR, HP P/N: AE311A) separately seat in PCI slot 4 and PCI Slot 5 and separately connect to two san switch. The left san switch connect HP library MSL 6030 and MSA 1000├в s one controller. The other san switch connect MSA1000├в s another controller.

Now the Problem is after about 20 days work fine, DP long time waiting when issue scan Tape command. The HBA in PCI slot 4 three LEDs turned on. I consult with the HBA manual, this means Power on before of after firmware initialization. And in the device manager of DL380 G5 I cannot found library device(changer/two drives). And in system log, there are many error messages say \Device\Scsi\ql23001, did not respond within the timeout period. And I also checked the left san switch using switchshow command, it shows the port status that links to the HBA(PCI slot 4) is NO_LIGHT. BTW, the san switch is no zoning.

The HBA driver is ql2300, version 9.1.0.13. A couple of days ago before this worse situation occured, I once run HP├в s LTT(Library & Tape Tools), the tools recommend to change driver parameters:

Driver parameters

Current driver parameters value

UseSameNN : 0

Recommended driver parameters value

Qd : 32

Regfdmi : 1

msevtwrkaround : 0

Do I need to update HBA driver and/or change driver parameters? Or the root cause is san switch or library?

Pls give some advice and thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Jackie

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Jackie,

you can switch the HBAs to test, if the error occures also with the other HBA. If not, I would recommend to log a call at the HP support to replace the HBA.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Wang Haitao
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

We do many actions at the same time,include:

1.Update San Switch firmware from v5.0.1b to v6.2.1(because of HP recommanded, but i don't think this is the key point);

2.replace the HBA(the one that three LEDs lights) and update HBA driver;

3.Update library and FC interface card's firmware(prior these actions a couple weeks ago, we added a new drive to the library and updated only the old drive's firmware, so two drives have the same firmware version G65W);

4.Confirm the function of the library using LTT(LTT reports the library works normal) ;

5.Confirm the configuration of DP(DP's configuration is right).

So far, it works fine. but i think the HBA is the key point.

BR,

Jackie