108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EML E-Series sending 10.255.255.255 broadcast

SOLVED
Go to solution
jknightcs1
Advisor

It's manual. We're using firmware version I232 on the interface manager, 5944 on the interface controller, and 1223 (6.26.60) on the library.
Colette Howe 1
Frequent Advisor

ok, That is the newest code. If the IP address was manual set then the only fix is to "restore system defaults" from the cli. Do not type imnet option, we need the network setting to go to zero. Make sure you know what the configurations were, like host mapping, port connection and the IP address information because you will need to manually restore them. Do not restore a saved config.
If you have a saved config before this issues started happening I may be able to make it restore from a pervious revision if you attach it to the forum.
The broadcast address is what would be set up for if this flash in the Interface manager was at one time in a ESL-e. If a service engineer uses a part they are to return it as used so this does not happen. I will submit a defect about this issue.
jknightcs1
Advisor

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly:

You're saying the flash memory in the interface manager was previously in an ESL-e library, which should not have happened? And that we'd have to essentially wipe our config and reconfigure from scratch to fix it?

I have a ticket open with HP support about this too, so I'll probably want to alert them to this too and have them help us.

Marcial Wils
Advisor

Im just curious.
What if the EML got the IP address from DHCP and not manual?
Colette Howe 1
Frequent Advisor

I think that we will try and make a bundle to fix this issue without setting default configs. Can you call support so that we can get a IM support ticket sent in and ask them to elevate the issue to the lab.
Colette Howe 1
Frequent Advisor

DHCP might have had something to do with the broadcast being set. DHCP can initailize the network.
It is interesting that support sent me an email and has 2 other eml libraries doing the same thing. They all are on 10.x.x.x networks.
Anything to help me figure out what origionally caused the issue would be helpful. Does your library also have LTO 4 drives in it?
Looking at the other IM tickets makes me think that it did not have anything to do with an IM flash FRU replacement
jknightcs1
Advisor

Yup, we are indeed using LTO-4 drives. I have a ticket open already, I will email them again and include a link to this forum. Thank you!
Rick vonR
Advisor

I'm pretty sure the EML and ESL work similarly. We had changed our internal network (in the building) to a 10.x.x.x network. This caused all sorts of problems with the our library. After HP had finished replacing all of the parts, they finally called no-joy and escalated it to the propeller heads who informed us that the library also uses an internal 10.0.0.0 net. So HP had to come out and change the internal library network to a 192.168.0.0 network which solved our problems.
Colette Howe 1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

The lab has created a bundle that will detect the library platform that it is running in, and ensure that the broadcast address is properly set on eth0. The broadcast address should be 0.0.0.0 for EML, 10.0.0.255 for a 10.x ESL, and 192.168.0.255 for a 192.x ESL.

If the broadcast address is improperly set, then there is a potential that broadcast pings for IFC's could hit the public network. This could potentially try to manage standalone routers.

If you see this issue you will need to call support to get the bundle
jknightcs1
Advisor

Just an update, this bundle did indeed fix our issue. Thanks for helping with this!