1748214 Members
3274 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

EML-E drive/robotics LUN assignments

blosphere

EML-E drive/robotics LUN assignments

Hi,

Our NetApp doesn't recognize all the 4 drives + robotics, it's always just 2 + robotics if any.

NetApp told us that it's because the other 2 drives comes from the other FC port and this confuses their software. Workaround would be to assign all the drives to the FC0 port.

Now our japanese HP guy doesn't know anything about this, goes over his ability I assume. After 5 minutes of googling, I found that I should be able to do this in the 'Advanced Security Manager' in the ESL-E series libraries.

But the EML-E only has the basic version... is there any way to assign the LUN's still and not use the automatic load balancing? Shutting down the interface from command view TL didn't work... I guess the interface is still up internally.
1 REPLY 1
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Re: EML-E drive/robotics LUN assignments

I am assuming this is a SIP library without the e1200-240 interface controller with a SCSI cable down to the robotics controller in the base of the library. SIP based libraries allocate the robot as a separate lun on one of the tape drives. Normally it is the first drive it discovers. If you have advanced secure manager you should be able to allocate the robotics to the appropriate host HBA. Its just a matter of ticking the appropriate box. I would not turn off load balancing (this is performed when in 'manual mode'). If you have dual SANs configured with a FC link off to each one from the interface controller then you may end up with the robotics on the wrong SAN 'island'. There is a command line way of re-allocating the robotics but at present I don't have it to hand.
If you do not have advanced secure manager then the drives and robotics are normally presented to all host WWNs.
Checking the FC switch name server is a good way to check out how things are presented. I would strongly recommend the purchase of advanced secure manager licence. This will also enable you to partition the library.