1753415 Members
7115 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESL 712e Tape Library and STK L700 share on same HBA

Roderick Quodala
Occasional Contributor

ESL 712e Tape Library and STK L700 share on same HBA

Is it a supported option to have an ESL 712e and an STK L700 tape libraries share in the same HBA (QLA2200)? My client has a SUN backup server using the STK library. They are now migrating to ESL 712e, but they want a transition where the server sees both libraries, sharing the same HBA. We already had the ESL configured, but when we tried both libraries, the STK robotic controller can't be detected.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: ESL 712e Tape Library and STK L700 share on same HBA

Roderick:

Just wondering... do you have seperate zones for the 2 libraries? or are both libraries and the host in one zone? I know it sounds like that should not be a problem since the same host is accessing the library, but the seperate zoning would allow each library to talk to the host without the 2 libraries able to talk/see each other.

If they each work seperately, there should not be any technical reasons why the do not work together.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Roderick Quodala
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying Steven. Yes, I forgot to mention that we also tried setting separate zones for the two libraries but we got the same thing. We are using a Mcdata Director 2/140, btw.

Regards.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

I am sorry but this is neither tested nor supported.
So you either need seperate HBAs for each Library or to switch off one of the two at a time.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

By the way; to see what HBAs are supported at all for HP Libraries and Solaris have a look at page 23 in the EBS matrix.

Go here: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ebs/

and click on the right hand side "EBS Compatibility Matrix".

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Roderick Quodala
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter. We have actually removed the presentation of the ESL for the meantime until actual migration date. Yes, I have been refering to the EBS matrix that you provided.

Regards.