4030 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESL 712e and Data Protector

Jonathan E. Deady
Frequent Advisor

ESL 712e and Data Protector

Hi,
We have a ESL 712e and we use DP 5.1. For the most part everthing is good.
But we've found that if we need to create a new host with SAN connected tape devices from the ESL, the scan will interupt any backups running to the ESL. This obviously limits when we can add new hosts and our ablity to troubleshoot.
This does not have the same affect with our MSL libs. We have tested this and its reproducible, without a miss.
The ESL is at the lastest firmware. Oh yeah the FC switch is an MDS and the backup host is HPUX.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Re: ESL 712e and Data Protector

Looks like a sort of reset.
Have you implemented zoning in your SAN switch?
If every server has its own zone including the switch port where its FC card is plugged in and the switch port(s) of the Tape Library, hopefully you won't see anymore the problem.

HTH
Claudio Ruzza
Jonathan E. Deady
Frequent Advisor

We zone, but we have too many hosts to zone per host. Even then it doesn't seem to matter. I can scan on a UNIX host in differnet zone and a Windows host's backup will stop.

Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Can you specify firmware revisions? Just to check if everything is up to date.

I assume ESL robotics is at 2.0
Interface manager is at I142
NSR's are at 5.6.06
Command view ESL is 1.4.02

Have you installed CVESL's Secure Manager License? I ask you this because is important to know if you're dealing with default Interface manager maps or with customized maps.

let us know
Claudio
Jonathan E. Deady
Frequent Advisor

Yeah, firmware and software are all up to date. And we just had to fix our license last week, it was "Unmanaged". So all of that is good.
It just seems strange that the ESL can't handle a scan like the MSL's.

Thanks
Richard Tame

Hi Jonathan,

There is a patch for HP-UX 11i and also being ported to 11.23 and 11.0 when using A6795A or A5158A HBAs. It fixes these problems (apparently).

The new version of the driver is 11.11.12.

So if you have these HBAs, make sure driver is right up to date. This has begun to solve the same problem we have in our environment.

Cheers,
Richard