New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESL 9595 SDLT 320 Recalibration

SOLVED
Go to solution
MSX 3rd Line
Advisor

ESL 9595 SDLT 320 Recalibration

Hello,
is there a way to re-calibrate SDLT drives (through HP LTT or command view TL) as after having replaced 2 drives they still generates read/write errors ?

Rgds
Steph
7 REPLIES 7
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

The sdlt drives do not have "recalibration" functionalities. The library itself can be recalibrated, but this is related to the movement mechanism, and have nothing to do with the read/write process.
Probably you have some bad tape in the library
MSX 3rd Line
Advisor

The tests have been made with a brand new tape (drives have been changed, but can we assume they're brand new ?).The library can move the tape from the slot to the tape device but it looks like the tape device cannot "load" the tape to read/write it. Can this be due to wrong alignment of the drive in the library ?
Regarding ESL calibration, can this be done from elsewhere than the control panel ? (remotely : HP LLT or command view TL, Thanks and regards.
Steph
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I am not sure I understood, you said that you have read/write error, then you said that the drive cannot load the tape. Can you explain a bit?

if the library is not able to load the cartridge in the tape drive, then this may be due to one of these cause:

- the drive itself is not well seated, or the drive is out of place,reseat it and run the library calibration from the front panel of the lib will solve this.

- you are loading a wrong cartridge ( LTO in a SDLT)

- you are loading a cartridge that is up-side down

if the library is able to load the cartridge in the tape, but not able to write it, the cause may be you have loaded a DLT cartridge in the SDLT drive.

if you create a support ticket whith the cartridge loaded in the tape, and attach it here I can have a look, may be the answer is there
MSX 3rd Line
Advisor

Well,
let's say it in other words :
ESL 9595 with 5 SDLTs - SDLT 2 and 4 fail to write to any tape. These drives have been replaced recently. There's no issue with the robotics (cartridges are correctly loaded from slots to SDLT drives then unloaded from SDLTs to slots). When loaded in the SDLT drive, no writing is possible. No possibility to have a wrong tape as the same tape is usable on another SDLT. My question is : before requesting a new SDLT replacement I want to be sure I can't do more. You're talking about "library calibration from the front panel", and this is exactly the original question : can it be run remotely ?(through command view TL or HP LTT). I'm located in France, the ESL is in UK.
Thanks and regards
Steph
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You need to be onsite in order to run these mechanical actions, this test is not available cia CV or LTT.

In your case I think that this test will not solve the problem, because it is a pure mechanical calibration of the stepper motors of the robot.

MSX 3rd Line
Advisor

hi,

this is the answer !
Thanks. This thread is closed. Have a nice day
Steph
MSX 3rd Line
Advisor

this question has been answered.