1748245 Members
3573 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESL 9595

Diego Faria
Occasional Contributor

ESL 9595

I would like to connect a server with two HBA's in drives different for redundancy of the environment. Can I have some problem for this configuration? I will have problems with backup.
5 REPLIES 5
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Can you provide any further detail of your environment? How many drives? How many NSR's? Is interface manager present or not?
SAN Switches are zoned effectively?

Assuming we're dealing with a SAN, to connect a server with two HBA's to a tape library usually don't represent a problem, unless you miss some very important configuration rules.

From the backup software point of view such a configuration is OK, good for performance.

If you provide some more details I can be more accurate.

HTH
Claudio
Diego Faria
Occasional Contributor

Here we have 2 NSR with 12 drives.
Yes we are speaking of SAN, two directors 12000 of the Brocade.

For example:

I would like to make:
I have a server with 2 HBA
HBA 1 go to make zoning for drive 1(ESL9595).
To another HBA 2 go to make zoning for drive 2.
I want to make this for in the case of a loss of HBA or port of switch to have redundancy.

Thank so much.

Claudio
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

OK - much more clear now.

Answer is YES, you can do it. You are going to map some drives (most likely 6 out of 12) to HBA 1 and some other (most likely remaining 6 out of 12, or whatever) to HBA 2
What you will get in case of a FC path failure (HBA, cable, switch port or NSR) is that your server will see at least 6 drives out of 12.

A couple of suggestions:
-make sure you will use STATIC maps in your NSR's (indexed) and not auto assigned
-Zone your switches avoiding to mix Disk Arrays and tapes in the same zone. From the tape library point of view the best will be to create one zone (two zones in case of two HBA's) for each server including server's HBA and NSR switch ports only.

HTH
Claudio
Diego Faria
Occasional Contributor

Claudio,

Do you know Open View Storage Node Manager?

Thank so much!

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
even if you can split drives in two different SAN, this is not the solution for redundancy, in fact you will still have just a path for your robotic controller, and a library without robot cannot load tapes and is useless.
The solution is to go for a ELTA solution, with IM (Interface manager) and CommandViewTL plus Secure Manager.
This solution is adaptable to ESL9595.
Interface Manager will allow library partitioning, and this will allow you to create two virtual library, each indipendent and each with own robot.
In that case, loosing one path, you will lose one virtual library but not the second one.
Partitioning allow you to also create vitual library managed across diffents OS, and differents backup applications.

http://search.hp.com/query.html?col=a3x80+b3x80+c3x80+c3x8765+d3x80+d3x8765&charset=iso-8859-1&la=en&hpvc=sitewide&qs=&nh=10&lk=1&rf=0&uf=1&st=1&qt=library+partitioning

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/tlarchitecture/index.html