New Discussion юеВ

ESL Errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

ESL Errors

Has anyone experience this error

"Tape move for tape with barcode NS58262 failed with original source of Library.0x100b and ultimate destination of Library.0x30c9. 02055302 Medium removal prevented."

This happens when trying to format tapes, they remain in the drive and can't be moved.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ESL Errors

This is a standard message indicating that the tape in a drive cannot be put back to the original slot because someone is preventing the drive to eject it.
Usualy the backup application send a scsi command called "Reserve" when it have to do something (read or write) on a tape, preventing other initators to keep ownership of the drive while the process is going on.
Some time a different program can take ownership of drives (like Removable storage for example) and this is causing your backup application not to be able to manage the tape.
So you should understant who put the drive in reserved mode.
To clear this status you should powercycle the drive or make the application send a "release" scsi command
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

We are using Data Protector, which should have any devices reserved. But I will try power cycle the drives.

Is there a way to use UMA to power cycle drives.
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

I was able to release the drives but I getting this error when moving tapes from drives back to its slot.

scsi3:0:7:0> move d12 s202
MoveMedium failed: [122] The data area passed to a system call is too small.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

probably an inventory from the DP and/or one from the library would solve, if not, a reboot of the library would be necessary
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

I rebooted the controllers and all is well now.

Thanks for the help.