1751692 Members
4778 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Encryption Concepts

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

Encryption Concepts

I am currently working on trying to understand the tape encryption process. I have purchased a pair of tokens (one for my production site and one for my DR site). After reading some of the documentation, I am kind of confused about how the encryption process should work. My original intention, was to create a token and leave encryption always on. I would then create a backup token and send it to my DR site for storage and I would do the reverse process at the DR site.

What's confusing me right now, is that I had intended on only using a single key and leaving encryption always on. The tapes in question are in a protected rack and they will only ever be in the tape loader or at the IronMountain facility. The documentation however, seems to indicate that I am supposed to rotate keys on some sort of annual process. My question is if in year 1 I am using key set A and at the end of year 1 I rotate to key set B, how do I restore data from year 1 with key set A if I am no longer using that key set?

Thanks for assisting. I appreciate any and all help.

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how do I restore data from year 1 with key set A if I am no longer using that key set?

In general, you would need to keep all of the keys.

Unless by rekey (key rotation) they want you to decrypt with key A and encrypt with key B, each year.

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I have a follow up question. How would I remove encryption from a tape? Let's say I wanted to format a tape (blank it) and just make it look like a brand new piece of media?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I wanted to format a tape (blank it) and just make it look like a brand new piece of media?

I assume there is no difference if it was encrypted or not.

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

Say I want to use it in a Tape drive that did not have my hardware encryption keys. I basically want to get it as reasonably close to factory default as I can.