StoreEver Tape Storage
1752448 Members
6157 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error 1401: Insert Compatible media

Ramaekers

Error 1401: Insert Compatible media

I'm at a lost with this. I have got the backup job set to no rotation, so therefore I would of thought that it would not matter what tapes were inserted into the HP USB DAT 72 drive.
The backups were working fine, but now have been failing for a week with the same error.
8 REPLIES 8
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

This is the most frustrating and often most difficult error to chase in Data Protector Express. It can result from an incorrect device selection, incorrect tape rotation (automatic or manual) and a couple of other reasons.

If you will respond with a copy of a failed job log attached and also a description of what and how many tapes you are using maybe I can help.

DL
Ramaekers

As far as I can tell it's expecting a set tape, but I don't want it to worry about what tape is in the drive. I set the job to no rotation, hoping that would mean that it would just do a backup to whatever tape was in the drive.

Log attached.

Thanks
Joanne
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

The problem is that it recogonizes the tape in the drive as another tape it know about and therefore doesn't want to overwrite it.

There is a work-around that you could try. Create a second job to format a tape with the name the job is expecting and schedule the the job to start about 5 minutes before the backup job. Then every night whatever tape is in the drive will be reformatted and will, by default, be the tape the backup job is looking for.

While this will probably work it really isn't desireable. You are much better off using a rotation scheme, even if it is manual. It is likely that the best you are going to be able to recover is going to be from last night's backup. And if that backup isn't a full backup you might not be able to recover at all.

Of course, if you have people forgetting to manually change the tapes you risk not getting a backup either.

DL
Luciano Ferrara

I have exactly the same problem...How is possible the Dat worked fine for one week than he stopped to work? I tried to contact the Italian HP support without an answer. I have this problem in a company where they need to backup their data everyday and they are really angry with me. I hope to have an answer. Thanks
Ramaekers

I gave up and changed the software being used to ntbackup.
Luciano Ferrara

ok, thanks!!! Does the ntbackup support the DAT 72gb usb???
Ramaekers

Yes it does. You can also put in a switch in your batch to tell it to take any tape that your put int (/um)
Ashraf Indung
Occasional Advisor

yes,it is supported and u may backup using ntbackup utility.Somehow, u need to disable/stop DPX services first. Then,Enable "Removable Storage" under Services.
You'll get what u want.