1753701 Members
4914 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error 1401: insert compatibel media

SOLVED
Go to solution

Error 1401: insert compatibel media

I have a problem with DAT 72 USB HP StorageWorks, Data Protector Express Single Server Edition Version 3.50 - sp2 (build 34497), driver 1.6.0.0 data 11/01/2007.

When 69% of the job is don there is an alert Error 1401: insert compatibel media.

Till now the media has been formatted, most recent drivers (for Tapedrive als well of the USB-ports of the pc) have been installed, the software has been upgraded to 3.50 -SP2 but the error still keeps canceling the job.

Is there anybody familiar with this problem, and how do a resolve this?
11 REPLIES 11
Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

I had this error once after I created a backup schedule and forgot to tick "compression". The data now did not fit on the tape and DPX requested a second one with this same cryptic msg.
Did you check this already?

Correct, till now I tried the option "software compression" as wel as "hardware compression" at the level of the driver.
None of them results in an backup greater than 36GB.
D Wong
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Stefaan:

There was a defect in DPX 3.5 SP2 (Build 34497) where compression was turned off when the gui was opened during the backup job. You should upgrade to DPX 3.5 SP2 (Build 37634). Here is a link to the CDROM *.ISO image.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&prodNameId=1144275&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-58946-1

Also, DPX Error 1401 is caused when the backup job does not have the correct tape cartridge to perform the backup job. Normally, DPX is setup to Format all media. You really don't want DPX to "Format all media" for each backup job. You really should have DPX "Format blank media only" for your backup job. Then, if you have a brand new blank tape cartidge in your Autoloader, DPX will format the tape for your backup job.

Hi D Wong,

Thank you for the information and link to the recent build. I burned the iso file on a CD-rom, installed it on the system, eraesed the media and started all over again.
At this moment it seems I didn't get any futher. After backed up about 30GB off data (totaly selected 60GB) the streamer asked for another media. I used for compression mode "both" (software and hardware).

Is there something else I do forget to select?

Kind regards,
Stefaan
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Stefaan:

DPX error 1401 is caused because DPX is waiting for the correct tape cartridge to be loaded for the format media job. The tape cartridge that you have already formated for the DPX backup job is not in the correct location for your backup job.

Instead, it recommended that you setup the "Auto format mode:" to only "Auto format blank media only" from the Device/Media gui page. Quick Erase any media that you have previously formatted for you backup job.

Hi D Wong,

It seems not working for me.
I put an error file in attachment, can you loock to this file and give me advice please?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Stefaan

D Wong,

Sorry, wrong file attached.
Herby the correct error file.

Kind regards,
Stefaan
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Stefaan:

Please try to stop and start DPX services. DPX software is not seeing the USB DAT72 tape drive.

If stopping and the starting DPX services does not work, then reboot the server.

Hello D Wong,

During the past day's I did the installation of the software on a pc and notebook, just to test the different configurations of hardware. On all the systems I have the same problem: once the job is nearly 32GB, the job stops (error 1401) because the software doesn't compresses the data.
When I create a job smaller than 32GB there is now problem.
Yesterday I installed the lasted DATTapeDriverInstaller hoping for positive result -> still NOK.
I don't think we have to search for an solution in the settings of the DPX, correct?

Kind regards,
Stefaan