StoreEver Tape Storage
1754020 Members
7179 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error Reading DDS4 media cartridge after using in Tapeware

CA1242288

Error Reading DDS4 media cartridge after using in Tapeware

I have already bought a HP SureStore Dat 40e external DAT drive with 6 extra cartidge. Currently I am using Tapeware 7.00 software to backup and restore. But I want to switch to Windows default NT Backup utility for convinient use. But the media that I have used in TapeWare are not recognized in NTBackup Utility. Not even after formatting in Tapeware. I want to clean the cartidge and use them in NTBackup system from now on. Whenever I tried to startup backup in NTBackup utility, it shows the message that the media is not recognized at all, some times it says trhat there is no sapce available in that media. I securely erase + format them again in Tapeware but no luck. How can I make these media fresh and clean again ?? I need urgent help. Please reply me as soon as possible. Thanks

tape_backup_media : HP DDS 4
tape_software : tapeware 7.00
operating system: Windows 2000 Server+SP4
4 REPLIES 4
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Error Reading DDS4 media cartridge after using in Tapeware

Hi,
"Format" for tape drive have not the same meaning that for floppy or disk drives.
If you format a cartridge with one application (in your case Tapeware) that cartridge will be recognized as empty for tapeware only. If you try to load this cartridge and read with another backup application, the format of Tapeware will not be recognized, and the tape will be identify as "Foreign Tape", and you will be proposed to "format" or "inizialize" it with the new application.
So in your case, you have to inizialize it with NTBackup or through Removable Storage Manager
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1242288

Ok thanks for the reply.

but can pls tell me how I can do it storage management tool in windows 2000 server ??

any link to this usage, pls ?

thanks again.

Zunaid
meloni
Honored Contributor

RSM can be found in device manager.

here is some links that explain how it work

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/w2k3tr_rsm_how.asp

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&s=6&c=0&qu=removable%20storage
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
BR664511
Advisor

I have seen a similar problem using old QIC 1GB drives and NTBackup in W2000. NTBackup is very touchy!
Check you have the latest service packs for W2k, there was an update on NTBackup.
The most reliable method I have found (with the QIC drives) is to use NovaStor's Novaback + to erase the tape first, then use NTBackup (the coustomer insisted using NTBackup) for the backup. That may be a solution for you. Hope it helps.