cdeibert
Occasional Advisor

Extremely slow performance on Ultrium 448

Configuration:
-------------
W2k Server, SP4, Rollup 1
P4P800-X Desktop-MB, 4xPCI 33Mhz
1x Adaptec 19160 32bit U160 Scsi
1x 32/64bit ICP Vortex GDT6113RS (with 2x Raid 1)
1x HP Gigabit Lan nc10120 (on 100MB Switch, so autosense to 100)
and temporarily: 1x VGA Rage II PCI
-------------
Hello,
I have massive problems with a new internal Ultrium 448, which is connected as the only device on an Adaptec 19160, running on a W2k Server SP4. Latest Device Drivers are installed.
Read/Write Tests only measure 2,3MB/s (done with HP TapePerf). I have checked:

-Conflicting Win2k & Backup Services
-IRQ (at least Win2k PnP reports a decicated IRQ 21)
-Cables and Termination seem to be properly (came brandnew out of the box with the drive itself)

SCSI Bios Settings:
-Initiate Wide Negotiation:Yes
-Enable Disconnection:Yes
-Send Start Unit:No
-Enable Write Back Cache:Yes (tried 'No', no change)
-Set Parity (Controller):No (had other errors with 'Yes' before)
-LVD & Fast Termination:Automatic

Device is on ID 3, Controller on 7. Connected right next to the 'terminator site'.
Device is recognised as 'U160' (on bios post).

Reading and writing functions normal except the performance.
HP Storageworks library and tape tools reports (in the viewer): 'Current SCSI Configuration: narrow','Current SCSI transfer rate limited to : n/a'. This seems to be the problem, but I can't find the error.
So here my questions: What is your experience of
a) the usage of this non-hp-supported SCSI-Controller (yes, I know: no official support for W2k Server, only W2k) with an Ultrium 448 ?
b) the usage of an Ultrium 448 on 32bit Controller/Mainboards (in conjunction with several other PCI devices) ? Does heavy PCI load bring the Ultrium that down ? The mirrored hard drive have normal performance.

Any Ideas greatly appreciated !
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Extremely slow performance on Ultrium 448

you might run the sysperf test in Library and Tape tools. It may be the system is the bottleneck. Yoou will probabaly be happier with a 29160 card. This doc should explain a little about performance tuning for this drive.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
cdeibert
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the answer, but did already both: The test & I read the article. This did not solve my problem. As I wrote, the hard drives work as supposed.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

and what were the results of the sysperf test?
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
cdeibert
Occasional Advisor

From the drive I was backing up it was 12MB/s; not glorious, I know, but should be sufficient for more than 2MB/s ?
I now have attached the complete .ltt-File for further details.
Thanks in advance.
cdeibert
Occasional Advisor

Update: Moved the controller + Ultrium to another computer running Windows XP Pro. Same results. No one here who's experienced in tape drive logs (which I have attached in the previous post) ?
meloni
Honored Contributor

>>>Current SCSI Configuration: narrow','Current SCSI transfer rate limited to : n/a'.

>>>Host Bus Adapter 'adf6u160 SCSI Adapter' at Address '3/0.7.0'

hello,
two things:
- scsi configuration limited to narrow..... I would change the cables and/or terminator

- HBA adf6u160 there is some notes related to performance problems with tape related to the drives of these controller, try to update drivers and fw from the adaptec website

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASC-19160
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
cdeibert
Occasional Advisor

UPDATE: Thanks to everybody who wanted to help. Solution is found: Problem was the controller, upgraded to Adaptec 29160 and everything works as expected !
So hands off the Adaptec 19160 !!
Jan Slavicek

Hi, it seems I have the same problem. I├В┬┤m running on Adaptec 29160N though. Performance is between 2-3MB/s. Any opinions? Thanks.