108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Fault 3014 Drive Stow Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
GNewton
Advisor

Fault 3014 Drive Stow Error

I have read other threads regarding this same error but the issue we are experiencing seems to be a bit different.

Intermittently, during our backups, the picker will try and place a tape back into a populated slot.  After retries it fails to Fault 3014 Drive Stow error.  If we place an empty magazine in the library the tape is placed into the slot without issue.  If we simply reboot the library it will report Recovered orphaned cartridge and stowed to bin.  It has happened 2 times in the last week.

MSL 6030

fw 5.20

Media affected is HP and Fuji LTO3 and a mix of new and older media.

-Glen

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This could be a mechanical problem of the picker. I would open the top chassis cover and watch the picker while working to see if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GNewton
Advisor

Thanks Torsten. 

The library is 2 stacked 6030 (bottom one is original from 2005) w/Pass-Through so would be a challenge to remove the top and view .  I have taken a look, through the library window, at the picker rails and belts, stationary and in motion, to see if there was any belt shredding, tension, rail misalignment or debris along the rails and there is none.  I do have the same belief that it might be mechanical just that the MSL decides when it will screw with my backups.  I ran the picker diagnostic that would cycle tapes but came up with no issues. 

I will continue to monitor and will take extra time to run longer diagnostic cycles next time I am in our colo.  Hopefully then I will be able to see if it is debris or something else mechanical or other.

-Glen

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I agree, in a stacked configuration it is much more difficult to watch the activity. however, it is IMHO almost always a mechanical problem (of the picker or even the slot, e.g. if the mail slot is used as a storage slot).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GNewton
Advisor

Thanks,

The possibility of the slot being the cause, or part of the cause has been wafting about in the back of my mind for some time.  The Stow Errors always, physically, involve the bottom (master) left magazine and might involve the same slot, so a few days ago I froze the media in that slot.  So far, so good.  No errors.

Thanks for your advice Torsten.

-Glen

GNewton
Advisor

Opening a case with HP.  Link to additional experienced library errors (Fault Code 0501 (Hard) Barcode Reader Not Detected)