New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fibre Channel SCSI Polling issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jake M_1
Frequent Advisor

Fibre Channel SCSI Polling issue

Hi,
Something is causing a large amount of SCSI polling on all of my tape libraries from some reason. I am not sure how to find out whats causing this.
I have disabled RSM, configured the HP Management Agents and the TPRLO reg key but its still happening!
It occurred to me that each tape library has 2 x Fibre-->SCSI NSR's.

Currently the fibre zoning is configured with a separate zone for each windows 2003 host, but both NSR's are in each zone.
I was wondering if its recommended to have zones separating the NSRs from each other to? Thus, doubling the zones?

Perhaps someone has other ideas on how I can find out whats causing this polling issue too?

Thanks
Jake
7 REPLIES 7
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I had the same problem and i used the following solution.

Disable RSM

Disable the fibre agents for tape support
(Config panel >> HP management agents >> tab "Storage" Disable Fibre agent tape support".

Enter a regestry key to disable LTO device polling from the FC card.
2 keys possible one for emulex the other for Qlogic.

Installing the latest tape device drivers.

On the cell manager enter the following key in the global file :

EnableSCSIReserveRelease=1

Dany
Jake M_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the information.
I have tried to check to ensure the registry key is still set, but i cant remember the key, perhaps you can help me with that?

Is it something like disabletprlo=2 ?

The 'enableSCSIreserverelease' key was not set either so I have done this too...

Thanks,
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

The registry key "AutoRun=0" in the tape driver and medium changer driver (if installed) will disable OS polling. For example if you are using the HP tape driver, the hplto.sys driver should have and entry for AutoRun=0. That driver comes with a utility for creating that key. For libraries the HP driver will be something like "hpuln64.sys" (for a 64 bit system)
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

here are some info, and if you read the ebs design guide, you will get other details www.hp.com/go/ebs

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&objectID=c01567338

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

And related to the TPRLO (Third arty Process LogOut) it is recommended to be 2 (this work on emulex HBA, (on the Qlogic, you can set avoid the scsi reset from the GUI.) here is a good explanation of the parameter: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1024954
Jake M_1
Frequent Advisor

Jake M_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for taking time to reply to me. I have configured the services entry in the registry and it does seem to have made some difference. I have also been through and triple checked some of the other recommended settings and i think its fixed at long last! thanks again for your help :)