6286 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware corruption.

Selvam_2
Occasional Contributor

Firmware corruption.

Hai,
As i was updating the firmware of my HP Tape Drive C5683A. Error message showed me that incomplete updation. After that the tape drive is not detecting now. PLease help me !!
4 REPLIES 4
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

Did you try redoing the update..It has to be complete, then only you will be able to use the drive.
Thanks
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I think you now have what is known in technical terms as "dead as a doorknob". I doubt that the drive is now smart enough to bootstrap itself; it's time to return the drive to HP for repair or replace the drive.
Hopefully, your drive is under a maintenance contract. In over 20 years of doing firmware updates, I've had one failure in midstream (a DEC workstation) and that required a motherboard replacement so that a new PROM was in place.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

Hello Selvam,

I do not know how you updated the firmware,
but that drive should not be fully useless. On former drives it could happen like explained, know as "brain-dead". The drive you have should not do that, it still should ask for new firmware, there should be some code still in the drive. The inquiry (how the drive is displayed on the SCSI bus) should change to Need Firmware or something similar. That might be the reason why you are not able to see it on your system. You might try again to download firmware, best with the LTT tool. In this case it might be good to do that on a PC. There is still a small chance that your drive is dead, but you might try. LTT you can find here: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Hope it Helps,
Ralf.
Selvam_2
Occasional Contributor

Hai,
But my drive is not detecting even in the system then how could it be possible to update it again from the Hp Tool wizard.