1752608 Members
4393 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update problem HP 2/20

markfcsb
Occasional Contributor

Firmware update problem HP 2/20

I replaced a C7369-00821 drive however I'm unable to get the firmware to load to match the other drive in my 2/20 C7200 library. The working drive has E36R/OEM2 firmware, the replaced drive has E24V/OEM12. I'm able to change the firmware in the library and working drive just fine. LT&T states that the drive is a wrong personality.
10 REPLIES 10
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware update problem HP 2/20

May I ask you where you get this drive? probably this is not a HP drive made for the 2/20.
the E36R or E24 is the FW revision, the /OEM2 or /OEM12 is indicating the personality of the drive, this mean in which device this unit should be connected, this mean that if the ultrium should be inserted in a IBM library, the fw will be different that a drive for a HP library, or a stand alone drive will have different FW that one for an autoloader.
The personality indicate this, where this unit should be used.
If you have a drive with wrong personality, the only thing to do is to go back to the reseller and ask for the correct one, there is no way in the field to modify the personality of a drive
markfcsb
Occasional Contributor

HP parts didn't have stock so they gave me a used parts reseller's number. Is there anyway to over ride the firmware load to force the change?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

sorry to have to say no, you cannot change the personality. Only in the factory they have the tool and the way to do this
markfcsb
Occasional Contributor

bummer, I was hoping the override in the tape tools app would let me make the change. I guess that I will sent it back. Is there something on the drive label that I need to look for to ensure the correct drive? The HP parts site doesn't even show the model of 2/20 that we have and the lady I got didn't have very good english. It is a C7200 LTO library, serial number is US0JC05058. Thank you for the responses.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

the serial number is not need, what you need to know is the product number, then put it in the link below and you will see all the spare part number for your unit.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main
markfcsb
Occasional Contributor

I tried that, the only returns are for DLT libraries. It doesn't show a C7200 with LTO drives. The parts lady couldn't find it either.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Select the model you have:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=pmhier&oid=34115&cpric=euro

if you have a DLT model, compare the part that change between the dlt and the lto model in order to insert LTO drive in a DLT one. probably the magazin, and the universal picker are need to be changed

Hope this help
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Your product number is: C9522CB

These are two spare drives for this unit

C9520-69102 Ultrium 100/200GB Low Voltage Differential SCSI drive module
CUSTOMER REPLACEABLE WARRANTY PART (CREW)
REQUIRES RETURN OF DEFECTIVE PART

C9520-60102 New part for C9520-69102
Keep learning!!!
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Latest firmware versions
Library 1720 (1720 - LTT_C7200_1720.frm )
Ultrium 230 SCSI Drive E3BR or E36R
(E3BR - LTT_Ultrium_1-SCSI_E3BR_OEM2.frm
E36R - LTT_Ultrium_1-SCSI_E36R_OEM2.frm)
Keep learning!!!