1752777 Members
6389 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware upgrade failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Firmware upgrade failure

I have two 35/70 DLT tape drives attached to my ProLiant 3000 (with dual 500Mhz processors). One DLT drive is external with firmware version 2255. The other is internal with firmware version 1624 (i.e. quite old).
When I attempt to update the firmware of the internal drive I receive the following fatal error:
DLT Sense Data Returned (SK/ASC/ASCQ) 00/00/00
A fatal error occurred while attempting to flash the firmware.
I've tried both SP11662 and SP17907 without success. On one of your forums it mentions that a tape should not be in the drive while updating the firmware. I tried it both with a tape in the drive and with no tape in the drive. I tried shutting off the external drive and cycling power to the server and booting with the firmware diskette (in case it didn't like to see two DLT's) without success.
I need to have these drives at the same (or near same) firmware revision level so that I can group them together for our ArcServe nightly tape backups. ArcServe thinks the drives are not the same "type" and hence refuses to place them in the same backup group.
I need a resolution to this.

Other ProLiant 3000 info (from Insight Mgr):
NT 4 SP6a installed
Smart-3200 Array Controller (V4.44 firmware)
Integrated SCSI, Compaq Wide-Ultra SCSI Controller
Bus 1 I/O Address 4000h
SCSI ID 6
Device Type Tape
Status OK
Hot Plug No
Device Location N/A
Model Compaq 35/70-GB DLT Drive
FW Revision 1624

Bus 2 I/O Address 4400h
SCSI ID 5
Device Type Tape
Status OK
Hot Plug No
Device Location N/A
Model Compaq 35/70-GB DLT Drive
FW Revision 2255

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I wish I could be of help, but I am having a very similar problem. I have two 15/30 DLT tape drives attached to my ProLiant 850R. One drive responds as a DEC DLT 2000 with firmware version 8414, the other as a DEC DLT 2000 15/30 with firmware version 840B. I downloaded SP17907. When I tried to update the firmware of the drive it finds (840B), I receive the DLT Sense Data Returned (SK/ASC/ASCQ): 00/00/00 A fatal error occurred while attempting to flash the firmware error. I cycled power and tried again with no luck. I also need to have the drives at the same firmware so I can get them to group together for ArcServe.

Help? And is there an update somewhere for my drive with firmware 8414?

Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello from Paris,
I have the same problem on the firmware upgrade of the DLT tape drive.
Ref: forum compaq subject of september 2001 signed by Gittro.
Can you send me the solution, if you have found it please?
Thank you very much.
A french administrator.