4687 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: G3 Servers and HP Jukeboxe 330EX

Scott Dugan
Occasional Advisor

G3 Servers and HP Jukeboxe 330EX

Hello All,

I am new to this forum so please be patient.

I have a problem with a G3 server.

The Gist of it is......

I am trying to connect a G3 to a HP Jukebox 330EX on an Adaptec 19160 SCSI 2 card. The problem is that the NT event log is listing SCSI Port 1 Timed out.

Does anyone know if this is possible?????

I am able to get this device to initalise but that is about it. I am setting the SCSI card to be ASYNC and to support Multi Lun numbering. I am sending Unit Start commands to the device via the SCSI Card but to no avail.

The G3 server is configured with NT.4.0 SP6A and running RAID 5 on SCSI III. Does anyone know if this is a problem running SCSI II and SCSI III on the same box??????

The G3 server also has PCI-X Slots that are apparently 3-Volt Has anyone had problems running 32bit 5-Volt cards in a 3-Volt PCI-X Server???? I.E Backward compatibility.

I also have a HP Jukebox 660 I have connected this using SCSI III with no problems. The only problem is thuat i need to have the 330 & the 660 running on the same server

If anyone has successfully configured any of these devices on a G3 or G2 server i would be most interested in hearing your comments/ Suggestions.

Thankyou all in advance.
To Be or Not to Be
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Look at http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-19160&cat=Products it says that this card is for workstations (see also http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/techspecs.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-19160&cat=%2fProduct%2fASC-19160&fromarea=prod ), although it does not mean it will not work in server.
Please check that you connect library to this card using its SE (50pin) SCSI connector. Then please make sure that little dip switch in the center of SCSI repeater board mounted on the library (to which you connect SCSI cable) is switched into the position 'closer' to this 50pin SE connector. Then library will 'know' that you use this SE connector
Eugeny
Scott Dugan
Occasional Advisor

I have confirmed all of the information that you have supplied.

Thankyou for that, But i have already gone through this process.

I know that the 19160 card is stated for workstations but this should not make a differance.

I am going to look at a driver conflict possibility.
To Be or Not to Be
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Could it be SCSI Id conflict? Check with library's front panel.
Did you check if MO drives support start unit command (should support although) and maybe it requires MO disk to be inserted?
Do you use WORM or RW disks?
Finally, try HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Eugeny